• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Diana Gabaldon: Voyager

MonkeyCatcher

Well so far Miss Gabaldon can do no wrong in my eyes. Another great installment in the love story of Claire and Jamie. I found Voyager to be as entirely captivating as Dragonfly in Amber, possibly even more so. I was swept away by this novel - the change of location and pace of this book really helped to keep the series fresh and unpredictable, in my opinion. So, another thumbs up for Gabaldon, and a keen anticipation for what I will be thrown next.

To be honest, I was a little apprehensive about this book. I didn't like the thought of everyone being 20 years older - I didn't want my youthful, somewhat naiive Jamie to disappear! It seems that I had no reason to worry, however, as I think that it was pulled off marvelously. As was mentioned in the book a few times, the new and old characters seemed just to fuse together, and I forgot their different age after a time. Fergus was the big shock to me - at the start I found it a bit difficult to picture him as a 30 year old man, but after awhile it just came naturally, which I suppose was mostly due to the brilliant characterisation. Hats off again to Gabaldon.

I loved the suspense throughout this book - I don't think that there has really been an element of mystery to this extent in any of the other books, so I think that it helped to keep the series fresh and managed to put a new twist on the story of Claire and Jamie.

Regarding Rose Hall -
Wow was it a shock to see Geillis again! I actually physically gasped when she was introduced. A very nice twist in the story - it was good to have such a turn-about in the plot just after a reasonably slow part of the storyline. It certainly kept me interested, that's for sure! It was interesting to see how the characters had changed in 20-odd years. Geillis seemed a lot more melicious to me than in the others, or was that just me? In Cross Stitch she didn't seem nearly that heartless and demanding.

I'm looking forward to reading Drums of Autumn, which I purchased last weekend. I think that I will take a bit of a break in between, however, as I don't want the series to get tedious for me just because I'm too impatient to space them effectively. It's hard, though, it really is! :D

Now you've read it, I can share this: I thought the weakest part of the book was the voodoo stuff near the end. I never really did understand what that whole part was about. On my reread, I conveniently skipped past it. The rest of the book was very enjoyable, though.

What did you think of Lord John Grey?

I also loved Voyager!!

The voodoo stuff toward the end ties into a scene in Drums of Autumn.

Voyager was my favorite book in the series. However, I haven't read A Breath of Snow and Ashes yet, so that could change.

The whole series is marvelous! I just read A Breath of Snow and Ashes 3 weeks or so ago, and Now I want to go back and re-read the entire series. Again. :eek: Have y'all read The Outlandish Companion as well? I would recommend it. Ties up nicely.

I too found the voodoo to be kind of silly, but it did tie in with the location and era. The hardest part for me to take was the 'confrontations' between Black Jack Randall and Jamie. Randall was so heartless.:mad:

Appolonia said:
Now you've read it, I can share this: I thought the weakest part of the book was the voodoo stuff near the end. I never really did understand what that whole part was about.
I agree. The thing at the end with
Ishmael (sp) and the Reverend's sister and the whole tribal thing that they did
didn't fit in with the flow of the story. It was a little too out and there off topic to fit nicely with the rest of the story, in my opinion, and it would have been better if it had have just been left out.

What did you think of Lord John Grey?
I pity John Grey, but there wasn't enough of him in the book for me to form a really solid opinion of him. I do feel sorry for his position, and for the yearning that he must feel, but as I have already mentioned, am not yet well acquainted enough to form any feelings towards him, either for or against. I was surprised at the animosity between him and Claire, however. I did think that they would get along, as I thought that Grey would have now accepted that he couldn't change certain circumstances, and that they would be drawn together because of their similar feelings. *shrug*

pontalba said:
The hardest part for me to take was the 'confrontations' between Black Jack Randall and Jamie. Randall was so heartless
It was the same for me, and I was actually relieved that he didn't make an appearance in this book. It was always hard for me to read the bits in which he took a part.

MonkeyCatcher said:
I was surprised at the animosity between him and Claire, however. I did think that they would get along, as I thought that Grey would have now accepted that he couldn't change certain circumstances, and that they would be drawn together because of their similar feelings. *shrug*

There is more in later sequels that will resolve/clarify this somewhat. Something that surprised me. :)

Back