• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Disagree with ending?

Dawn

kickbox
Have you ever been thoroughly disgusted with the ending of a book? If so, were you enjoying it up until the ending or were you struggling all the way through, waiting and hoping for the pay off?

I've just finished Timeline by Michael Crichton. The main plot finished fine, but then there was an unnecessary epilogue which seemed rather trivial, and a little corny.

I'll have to look for my copy of Timeline. I really enjoyed the book. Probably because I'm fascinated with the idea of time travel, and with that era. I don't remember the epilogue, though.

This is going to sound horribly pompous, but War and Peace has this problem. The story proper ends, but then there's an interminable, turgid "historical perspective" bit, which is incredibly boring.

Cheers,
David.

Yes, absolutely and it just about ruins the whole experience. Makes you want the throw the book across the room and let it rot. Especially if it was a really great book. It seems as though you've been betrayed by the author.

Dawn,
I was referring to the part at the very end where they go back to the chapel ?The Green Chapel, and find Marek's tomb with the Lady Clare. I had assumed he died in the final battle.

Darren, you're right. I had forgotten about that. I didn't mind it, though. I usually hate "corny" unless the entire book is geared in that direction, but for some reason it didn't bother me that much this time. Of course that's just the sort of thing Hollywood will hook it's claws into. Hollywood looooooves corny.

Don't know if anyone else has read it yet, but I was very annoyed with the end of Lamb by Christopher Moore. It just didn't complete the story in my opinion.

Books that have a dissatisfied ending.

--Have you read any books like that,the story was so amazing but then the ending was like, duh!!!!!
confused-smiley-013.gif

There are so many books like that!
Just to name a few:
The last book I read 'Memoirs of a geisha' fits into this category.
'Doctors' - Erich Segal, was another one.

stephen king fans, don't lynch me, but i find some of his stuff ends badly, it sticks out. and michael crichtons congo, bad, bad ending.

I'm reading a book that's going south. The first 100 pp were very good, the second 100 tolerable, the last 100, well, it's a mad rush to the finish line as the author forces characters to do all kinds of bizarre things they never would have done in the first 100 pp. Oh well.

This book is Fierce People by Dirk Wittenborn. Apparently there's a movie adapation coming out very soon, with Diane Lane and Donald Southerland. Wittenborn is a hot Hollywood property right now. He made "Born Rich" the icky TV series about trustfund thumbsuckers. Ten years ago he was in the gutter after doing a lot of drugs for years to celebrate getting his first book published.

So why am I surprised that Fierce People started out promising and wound up reading like trash? The art replicates the life, once again.

i thought The Postman's ending was pretty crappy. The beginning and middle were so absorbing and thought provoking, then it ends in some GI Joe fight to the death. blech- what a disappointment

^^and another Dan Brown's book, Da Vinci Code, the ending make Robert Langdon look so stupid,all those codes and puzzle bring him back to where did it all started.

God's Call Girl by Carla van Raay

I haven't recommended this one on this site for this very reason. I was vrey excited about this book, and my mother bought it for me back in January for a place flight. Really interesting true story about a woman who grew up catholic and became a nun, only to leave the church and become a prostitute later in life. Loved it...!

...until the end where she starts talking about all the self help courses she did and gets very philosophising about things. It just doesn't gel with the rest of the book at all. I have a feeling that she wrote the book as a form of therapy (she says as much) and showed it to a very interested publisher. It's glaringly obvious that the ending doesn't really have the same flow, but I reckon she refused to pull it out because it was her therapy. The story is so interesting that the publisher probably overlooked this flaw. All the same.... I wish it was separated by at least a heading that said 'Epilogue' or something... despite the fact that it's an extra 50 pages.

Oh, and why has no one mentioned Lord of the Rings?

Gerk! What was with the last chapter?? Thanks for your social commentry on industrialisation, Mr Tolkien, but... no. Praise to the film makers for omitting that bit - one more reason I adored the film!

jenngorham said:
stephen king fans, don't lynch me, but i find some of his stuff ends badly, it sticks out. and michael crichtons congo, bad, bad ending.

I agree, really enjoying Stephen King's 'IT' until he seemed to run out of ideas, a truly awful ending

Cabrasopa :cool:

i found that with the talisman as well. it was flying right along and then....well i am unsure still what happened. it seemes all jumble.
with it the prob for me was the adults. when the story focused on them as children it was so believable because the boogie man really exists for kids, but with the adults it was lacking.

Back