• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

do you keep track of the books you read?

venusunfolding

I mentioned to a coworker that I had read 82 books last year. She and another coworker thought it was strange that I kept a list of all the books I read, and knew exactly how many I read in a year.

I've kept lists for the past 3 years.

Does anyone else to this?

I have. I used to have a spread sheet. Now I just post reviews on my blog.

I don't think this is strange at all. What better way to keep organized. And surely you don't forget books that you have read, but I am sure along the lines someone would. Especially the amount you read. :cool:

Last year I started properly keeping track. I keep a notebook with the title, author, start and finish dates and the number of pages in the book. Before that I just wrote down what books I'd read. I love my new system and wouldn't give it up!

I don't find this strange, I like to know how many books I've read and which book when. If I look back in my notebook it makes me remember reading it and how much I liked it.:rolleyes:

Since Stewart hasn't popped in to do this..I'll say there are one or two similar threads in the archives..but he can probably provide the links since I don't know how to do that!

Now, that I 've said that..

I've kept a list for the last three years too. I use a three ring binder and keep track of titles, authors, and date finished. The first year I logged pages read too, but decided that was a tad anal, and stopped:rolleyes: This year, I'm using a full-sized binder rather than my 9x7 I've always used. And since I'm doing this Olympic Challenge, I'm noting the country the author is from. I found a one-page laminted map of the world at Wal-mart that was designed to fit a full sized notebook, and I put a dot on the countries as I read..

I haven't before, but am just starting to.

I am using the librarything website, but just having a different user name for each year. It's good as it has a picture of the book, and a link to find it on amazon, but sometimes has a different edition or format to the one you did read. And also, it's not in date.

It would be good to find a site that lets you add a book, date, comments maybe etc, and does all the statistics for you,

I keep a list of the books I read on another forum where I can actually edit my posts whenever I want.

I started keeping a list this year. I keep the list in a little notebook stored on my bookshelf, and I list title, author, date started and finished, number of pages, and I also write a few comments on my overall opinion on the book. I love filling it in - it's one of my favourite parts of finishing a book :D

Stewart said:
I keep a list of the books I read on another forum where I can actually edit my posts whenever I want.

Is that a dig at this forum or another poster? :confused:

doesn't everyone keep a list? I used to use a small spiral notebook then I started keeping the list on the computer. Maybe a notebook is best, then you can bring it with you and check it in the bookstore to see if you've already read a book you're looking at.

I make myself a private little webpage where I keep track of all the books I read and what books I want to read. It's very handy.

Doug Johnson said:
My theory is, if it was good, I'll remember it. If not, I'm better off forgetting it.

some of us aren't spring chickens anymore and have a little trouble remembering. ;)

Gosh... I don't keep a list. I remember everybook I've read if I see it again - I don't keep the list at my fingertips, as it were. Maybe I should start doing it.

The list I do keep though, is a list of books I want to buy. :D Now that list is important...

ds

I had a list, but an unsuccesful back up before a reformat finished it. Oh well, I havne't finished a book yet this year, time to start fresh I guess.

I keep a list of what I want to read on librarything too, then if I'm going to the library or out shopping, I print it off to take with me (as it changes daily)!

I've just started to list what I read, and all the books I can recall reading in the past.

It's a long list.

No i never keep track of what i read,but i should really it will be intersting to see how many books i get though this yr.

direstraits said:
Gosh... I don't keep a list. I remember everybook I've read if I see it again - I don't keep the list at my fingertips, as it were. Maybe I should start doing it.

The list I do keep though, is a list of books I want to buy. :D Now that list is important...

ds

I keep a list of books I want to read too. My memory is getting fuzzier by the day so if I didn't keep lists of various sorts, I'd not be able to remember anything in a week or two:rolleyes:

venusunfolding said:
I mentioned to a coworker that I had read 82 books last year. She and another coworker thought it was strange that I kept a list of all the books I read, and knew exactly how many I read in a year.
I've kept lists for the past 3 years. Does anyone else to this?

While I think I'd dislike someone who kept track just for bragging purposes, I really don't understand why someone would think it's strange to keep a list of what you've read. The most generous interpretation is that their memory is so good they don't need the notes; the more obvious interpretation is that your coworker can easily keep track of both books she read last year. I need a list because otherwise I'd never remember author names to sample their other work.

Back