• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do you read books in a series consecutively or take breaks?

Do you read books in a series consecutively or take breaks?

• I read them straight through.

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • I read something else in between each volume and come back when in a mood for more.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I take a break after feeling like I am overdosing.

Votes: 14 34.1%

• Total voters
I typically read them consecutively, but if I feel like I need a break from the characters, I'll move onto something else temporarily. Then of course, there's the breaks when I'm waiting for the next book to come out.

I'll read straight through if all books are available. And if there's a stretch between publication of the next in the series, I'll try to reread the previous books. Once I've read a series a few times, I might reread the book previous to the new release. I am a series junkie and the third option of the poll makes absolutely no sense to me. ;)

I do, however, usually read more than one book at a time ... I might have a commute book that fits and weighs best for the briefcase and a hardcover (from the library) at home for sitting near the fire. Both may be in a series (or not).

One other exception: Neal Stephenson's The Baroque Cycle, which for some reason isn't compelling enough for me to read right through. I have all the books but am only halfway through the second (of three). I've taken long breaks from reading them in getting to where I am.

I used to read series straight through so that I wouldn't forget anything that had occured in the previous books when I started on the next one, but after burning myself out by reading Jean M Auel's Earth's Children series straight through, I've avoiding doing so ever since. I really like the books that have a wee synopsis at the start that go over the events in the last book, as it means that reading other novels in between those in a series isn't as likely to affect your ability to recall important events in previous installments.

With that being said, I have just finished the second book in the Wheel of Time series, and I am really tempted to go straight on to the next one - the ending was brilliant! I'll have to exert some self-control here :D

If i have all the books in the series i read them straight through.
When a new book from a series is published i usually reread at least the previous one.

It depends on the series really. I've been reading Narnia and taking breaks inbetween. I read about three in a row then The Davinci Code. Then I read two more and read 'Salem's Lot. Now that I finished that I'm on the last two. Whenever I plan to read all the Harry Potter books over again I usually read them all in a row. I know I read The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings all in a row. Also the two Inheritance Trilogy books.
I believe I just take breaks and read other books so I don't get bored with the environment, and Narnia is seven books long so its good to take breaks. It makes you want to read more after a long break from the world.

I am surprised at the number of early responses from people who prefer to take a break, or the one guy who said they wouldn't read series books.

Almost everything I have read has been a series book.

Anyways...

I prefer to read them in series, to keep them fresh in my mind. Of course obviously you can't always do that. Some authors don't have all their books completely, if it's a new series.

Some of them I will re-read before the new book comes out, just to keep it fresh.

For example, it has become a ritual for me to re-read the Wheel of Time before each book comes out, because the series is up to 11 books now, and it's become impossible for me to remember all the little side plots without re-reading before each book.

In fact, I find it very frustrating waiting for the new books to come out. For me, it doesn't highten my anticipation, it frustrates me because sometimes I'll completely forget about a series for reading other books, and then sometimes even 2 or more books will be released before I remember to come back to it.

Currently I was reading some new dragonlance novels the series is called the Dark Disciple and 2 books have been written and the series is unfinished. Currently the author is also working on another series, the first book of which is called, "dragons of the dwarven depths". The author is Margraret Weis, and from what I understand she has put off Dark Disciple until the other series is done.

I find this very frustrating as a fan, that she would commit herself to two series and actually put one off to finish another. I can understand the need to keep your mind active by switching projects once in a while, but it seems to me that if you commit to a series, you should finish it and if you DO start another project while working on a series, you should work on them simultaneously instead of putting one off.

Mathius

Back