• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do you understand Harry Potter?!

Emduong

Hi Everyone!

Just wondering if there are any Harry Potter readers around the world that has ever found any parts of the books difficult to understand because it was 'too British'? Were there words or objects that are not commonly used in your country that you didn't quite understand?

Usually I've been able to guess things from context. I've also read other books by British authors, which makes it more likely that I'll recognize words.

If anything, I found the American version too sanitized of Britishisms. I would rather have to figure out a few, and keep it authentic.

Ashlea, I agree that books should be kept "authentic" and not changed for a different country's audience, if possible. Sometimes there are things in Stephen King's books which I'm not sure about! I remember being especially puzzled about a character wearing a "denim jumper" as a jumper here is a sweater/pullover. I didn't find out that it meant a pinafore dress for years! :D

I heard that Americans are puzzled by the word "torch", as you call them flashlights, and a torch is a flaming brand. Does Harry Potter mention torches?

erm, well... i'm a south-east asian... i read all the hp books...
and nope... i didn't encounter any of those troubles :)

I grew up on a steady diet of British books (Hello, Enid Blyton) so I had the torch thing figured out. But then, I also brew a mean pot of tea with all the traditional trappings.

Well, here's a question. Will someone please explain American school grades in age groups? It's confusing when you read of a couple of eighth graders snogging each other and have to remind yourself they're not eight years old!

eg. Scottish school system Primary 1 - Primary 7 = age 4/5 - 10/11
Seconday school First Year - Sixth Year = age 11/12 - 16/17

And what about some of the other countries?

I'm not even sure about English system :eek:

Third Man Girl

First Grade you start the September of your 6th year. Kindergarten is now standard for the year before that.

So 1st Grade is 6-7
7th and 8th (Jr. High) is 12-14.
9th -12th (High School) is 14-18.

In some states, you can drop out at 16, others it is 18. Most people finish and get their high school diploma. If you don't finish, you can take the test for the G.E.D. certificate, which is in some ways like a diploma but not considered as good.

third man girl said:
Well, here's a question. Will someone please explain American school grades in age groups? It's confusing when you read of a couple of eighth graders snogging each other and have to remind yourself they're not eight years old!

snogging? Whats that?!? :confused:

Rather than be completely confused, I read the American English version of the books...I figured they can't be that different...

I think British books lose a little of their sparkle when things are changed so Americans can "understand" them. I like the challenge. You learn more when you become curious about what a certain word means than if you think you already know the correct definition (in which case, you are usually still a little off. It just makes things so much more interesting. I just wish the British versions of Harry Potter were readily available in the States so I wouldn't have to pay a bunch of money (college students don't have a whole lot of that, you know). Luckily, HP survives the language barriers pretty well.

third man girl said:
I'm not even sure about English system :eek:

Third Man Girl

In England - Primary runs from Nursery (age 3-4) through years 1 (4-5) to 6 (10-11)
Secondary School then runs from year 7 (11 - 12) to year 11 (15 - 16) with years 12 and 13 used for students studying A'Levels or equivalent at sixth form

Well done Hun, that even confused me!! ;)

Of course i went to 'Middle' School, so my education was clearly inferior :D

Phil

phil_t said:
Well done Hun, that even confused me!! ;)

Phil

Well it doesn't take much
19.gif

You know, sometimes i think she doesnt respect me enough :(

I think i'll have to go and spank her a bit awww.tamriel_rebuilt.org_forum_images_smiles_icon_twisted.gif

Phil

In the second Harry Potter Book (Chamber of Secrets), Fred, George, and Ron drive their father's enchanted car to get Harry and then Ron drives Harry and him to school. That makes Ron about 12/13 right? So what is the legal driving age in England? Even though Ron was probably underage anyway.

:D Legal driving age is 17 :) So yes, he was an underage driver, as were Fred & George - i dont think that fact would bother them all that much considering their propensity for trouble-making

Phil (who just used a big word, that he very much doubts is in the right context :D)

--I need help here regarding HP series, I already got the 5 books but haven't read any of it and I'm planning to start reading it this week,but I don't know which title came first,so kindly give me the list what to read first otherwise I might end up reading the story in the middle of his adventure. :D

HP & The Sorcercer's Stone

HP & The Chamber of Secrets

HP & The Prisoner of Azkaban

HP & THe Goblet of Fire

HP & The Order of the Phoenix

THere ya go, Fickle, in order.

Back