• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

dogme95

lies

Most of you have probably heard about (or seen) Dogme movies, but I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the manifesto and on the films themselves. I've seen four of the fifty official Dogme movies and while I liked most, I'm not too sure what to think about the whole thing. Is it madness to try to limit yourself like that or is it just a challenge?

I'm certainly a fan of the manifesto. It may be madness but it serves to remove several stinky layers that have, in recent years, come to epitomise cinema: computer graphics, explosions, and cocky one liners.

With Dogme movies the emphasis removes film-making from typical budget restraints and/or excessiveness and forces it to tell a decent story for once. Natural lighting, no soundtrack from the latest band, only using props found on set, and filming only on location. It has produced many films of varying compliance to the rules an, watching these, you begin to realise how superficial most other films are, and how much money is wasted on effects and thespians when what is really needed in other, more famous, movies circles is some scriptwriting talent.

My favourite, as always, is Idioterne although I did like Italiensk for begyndere. I've yet to see Festen. I think I'm more interested in seeing all the Danish Dogme movies rather than all the others that have obtained the certificate.

I simply had to apply to this thread! :D

I think I have seen ALL of the dogme films, being a dane.
I like "Festen" and "Mifunes" the best. I have met one of the actors from Mifunes at a party and it was great to talk with him about the film.

I am curious, what do you think of the films? How do they come across to you? I have never heard foreigners view on these films, so it would be interesting.

Have you seen any of Lars von Trier´s other films?

Flower

I guess you're right about the removal of useless layers in a "typical" movie (horrible soundtracks come to mind), but sometimes a layer can add something to a movie.

I haven't seen Idioterne yet, but I hope to before I move. My brother got the DVD from a friend, so I'll be whining until I get my way.

I did like Italiensk For Begyndere, but I think I liked both Festen and Mifunes Sidste Sang. I still haven't made up my mind about Elsker Dig For Evigt.

I'd really love to see the Belgian movie (Strass), just to see what my countrymen made of it. I'd also like to see Godinne van die Grondpad, because I've never seen a movie in Afrikaans and the title appeals to me.

I think it's a good idea to force the director to think about more than effect. This way he has to actually focus on telling a story someone wants to hear.. Some of the rules does seem a bit mad but many of them makes sure that the director has to put thought into his work.

I've only seen Idioterne and Elsker dig for evigt of all the movies on the list. Idioterne is by far the best but Elsker dig for evigt is a quite decent movie. Since I'm danish is probably not a good thing that I haven't seen more of them, but I'm working on it.

Flowerdk4 said:
I haven't. I've seen the first half of Dancer in the Dark, but somehow never got around to watching the second half. (A shame, really.)

I'm going to watch (or tape) Dogville tomorrow though.

lies said:

All right then, I have seen the films made by the "dogme brothers", excepts Christian´s ! ;)

+ Italiens for begyndere, Elsker dig for evigt, Se til venstre, der er en svensker.

Flower

lies said:
I haven't. I've seen the first half of Dancer in the Dark, but somehow never got around to watching the second half. (A shame, really.)

I'm going to watch (or tape) Dogville tomorrow though.

I havent seen Dogville and his new one. But besides that, I think I have seen them all. Breaking the waves being my favorite. Dancer in the dark, I think Bjørk did a wonderfull job acting and the story is rather good.

Flower

Flowerdk4 said:
I havent seen Dogville and his new one. But besides that, I think I have seen them all.
Are you sure? :p

(Sorry, I just couldn't pass up this wonderful parallellism opportunity.)

lies said:
Are you sure? :p

(Sorry, I just couldn't pass up this wonderful parallellism opportunity.)

:D
Now you get my list. I have seen:
Forbrydelsens element
Europa
Riget 1 + 2 (was on the danish tv)
Breaking the waves
Idioterne
Dancer in the dark

I havent seen his two last movies. I somehow got a bit tired of him. But I would loove to see "De fem benspænd" as he has made this film with a great reporter/filmmaker from Denmark, Jørgen Leth, whom I like very much.

Flower

lies said:
Afraid not, no. Missing out on something big?

I think that Thomas Vinterberg is a great filmmaker. He is very good at telling/expressing an emotion with pictures. Hope it makes sense.

The video he made, got a lot of attention, as he filmed the blur while they were actually sleeping. The video is very intense. Forgot the title of the song now...I have the song in my head now, but cant seem to remember the title of the song. You can search for it as I am sure you would be able to see the video still.

Flower

Flowerdk4 said:
I think I have seen ALL of the dogme films, being a dane.

AS has been pointed out by lies I think you are very much mistaken in this belief since the Dogme movement has become an internation phenomenon in low budget cinema. Small time filmmakers, especially in America, have latched onto the constraints of the manifesto.

what do you think of the films? How do they come across to you? I have never heard foreigners view on these films, so it would be interesting.

Of the films I have seen I can honestly say that I enjoy them. The fact that the films spend more time on character is a triumph for cinema, in my opinion, and is the perfect anitidote to pointless explosions and CGI monsters. Realism, also, becomes a major trait of the films since they can only film on location, use props found on location, use natural lighting, handheld cameras, and even a quantity of the actors' lines are improvised. Italiensk For Begyndere, allegedly, was improvised from a three page script.

I've seen The Element of Crime but not Europa. The central film in this trilogy, Epidemic has not been rereleased as far as I know.

I enjoyed the Golden Hearts trilogy: Breaking The Waves, Idioterne, and Dancer In The Dark and believe the female leads (Emily Watson, Bodil Jørgensen, and Björk respectively) were incredible in their roles.

Dogville, the first film in the "USA - Land of Opportunities" trilogy was a masterpiece and I'm looking forward to seeing the next film, Manderlay later this year. Interesting to note that it is, for once, a von Trier film that has not drawn any sort of controversy.

Riget I was a great show, the grainy camera mixing horror and laughter in Kingdom Hospital made it unique (at the time) for television drama. The cast performed well and the script, mixed with von Trier's ability, made it compulsive viewing. Unfortunately, Riget II hasn't been released on DVD here and I may have to resort to lookin elsewhere to find out what happend next. Sadly, with the passing of two cast members, we'll probably never get to see Riget III.

Flowerdk4 said:
I would loove to see "De fem benspænd" as he has made this film with a great reporter/filmmaker from Denmark, Jørgen Leth, whom I like very much.

De fem benspænd (The Five Obstructions) starring both Lars von Trier and Jørgen Leth is a beautiful film to watch. Leth is a retired film-maker who made a short film called The Perfect Human decades ago which has influence Denmark's current enfant terrible, von Trier. Bringing him out of retirement, von Trier challenges Leth to remake the short film a number of times, each time being given a set of obstructions to which he must comply (i.e. must be filmed in Cuba, must be an animation, etc.). Leth works wonders with his own material, each reinvention a joy to watch, and its great to watch the relationship between these two directors, the student and the teacher, as they become contemporaries and von Trier, for the fifth obstruction, reveals the purpose of the documentary. Excellent.

Flowerdk4 said:
Anyone seen other films by Thomas Vinterberg?

I hope to see Dear Wendy, his current film, which was written by Lars von Trier.

I like the anti glamour of dogma but I don't think that there's any artistic virtue in sticking to limitations. I'm quite satisfied with psuedo dogmas such as Von Trier's Kingdoms.

I've seen most of Von Trier's but never got round to seeing other Dogme95 films. I'm quite interested in the journey he took from films like Europa to the Dogme stuff, anyone got a recommendation for a good biog of the guy?

To be fair, Lars von Trier has only made one Dogme film: Idioterne. He's currently making his second, Direktoren For Det Hele.

For more info you may want to ask at the Lars von Trier forum.

I like the concept, or the idea behind it. It forces the director to think more about the story and the characters. Its interesting from time to time, but i hope no directors will limit themselves to this format.

I liked most of the dogme movies i have seen. Currently i'd say Festen and Mifune is my favourites, but I was not that impressed by Idioterne.

Unfortunately, Riget II hasn't been released on DVD here and I may have to resort to lookin elsewhere to find out what happend next.

The danish DVD version has english subtitles. It should not be that hard to find it if you want it.

Back