• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

DOJ vs Apple et al?

CaptPapa

I read yesterday on CNN's site that the US Department of Justice is preparing a lawsuit against Apple and 5 publishers, Simon and Schuster prominent among them, alleging collusion in the price-fixing of ebooks. Amazon was named in the article too, but as I remember they were the target of the collusion; as in they were selling for too little.
In response, somebody made a comment about preferring real books you could hold in your hand and enjoy, cuddle up with, etc; saying that they preferred not to give the corporations the extra profit they (allegedly) derive from ebook sales. Another reader responded that the authors get a better percentage from ebook sales than from 'real book' sales. I'm ignorant in this area, but does anyone have knowledge of this . . . or comments. I've always preferred to have the real thing, I don't own a reader of any kind, but if supporting the author came into the equation, I might have to rethink my feelings on the subject.:confused:
ME

No, I don't have knowledge of author's shares or how they differ between conventional and e-books, but I have doubts about reliable information on the subject being readily available to outsiders like us. My own impression of trying to find information about the publishing industry is that it is closely held, even such simple data as number of books sold.
So I simply take the consumer's viewpoint of looking for best price and letting all the other participants fight out the pricing among themselves, with the DOJ presumably being on my side in some sense.
I too would be interested in hearing what anyone has to contribute by way of reliable information, but I doubt that the data will change my buying habits.

Back