• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Donna Tartt

J_D

Have just finnished reading The Little Friend, which I waited impatiently to come out in paperback for ages. Would love to know what others think of D. Tartt's writing. For me she's fantastic, a cerebral writer rather than an emotional one perhaps, but an absolute master of prose and form. If all books were half as well conceived and written as hers I'd be very happy indeed. I just hope it doesn't take as long for her to wrtie book number 3!

I read The Secret History a good few years ago and thought it was a fantastic book - very unique and compelling. I must admit that I was very dissapointed with The Little Friend. The beginning was promising and I liked a lot of the characters but everything just seemed to start drifiting in the middle and faded to a drawn-out, unsatisfying ending.

I know what you mean but I kind of liked the ambiguity. I have heard others complain that you don't get a resolution to Robin's murder and everything is left hanging. But I quite liked the idea I got from it that Harriet is after all a child, making childish assumptions and mistakes and its her actions that trigger off events in a family of adults. If that made any sense :)

i read secret history

everybody kept going on at me about this book. I found it brilliant and intelligent but i thought the ingredients of the book might have lead to a better pudding!

the girl read her new book and was completely underwhelmed by it.

ksky

I also preferred The Secret History. I couldn't put it down, even on re-readings. I did enjoy The Little Friend but it wasn't quite as good but I've never been able to put my finger on why.

Like J_D, I am eagerly waiting for her next book because her writing style interests me.

I read The Secret History as well, but even though I enjoyed reading it, I don't think Tartt is the kind of author I'd keep track of. Fine if I stumble across it, but nothing more.

Oh yeah, I love D Tartt's Secret History. The ambience brought about by the book was just brilliant! Feels good just thinking about it. :)

I have a Little Friend sitting in my TBR pile. I dunno... it's now hovering somewhere between Book 6 to 10 in line after discovering this thread...

ds

Loved The Secret History, wasn't too much a fan of The Little Friend. :rolleyes: In fact, I didn't end up finishing it....just skimmed the last chapter so I know how it ended (and I've forgotten that too! :eek: ) :eek: :rolleyes:

Back