• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Douglas Adams

GrannyOgg

Why on earth do the greater works of Douglas Adams, such as "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency", somehow preciptate the attention of Joe public? :confused:

Hi Granny Ogg. :) Do you mean that the "Dirk Gently" books are criminally overlooked? If so, I agree. I really enjoyed them. It's been a very long time since I read them, so I guess they're due a re-read.

(PS - "We" sounds very interesting. I see it's in your top three. :) )

Indeed, 'Dirk Gently' is one of my all-time favourites, and the second one is almost as good. In some places, even better. Especially Thor.

How about 'The Meaning of Liff' and 'The Deeper Meaning of Liff'? They are my bibles... I try to use at least one Liff word every day, and usually find I use many more almost without thinking of it.

A Liff word of my own:

Braughing (vb. pp): Choking theatrically and deliberately on a drink to indicate what you think of a particular piece of news or gossip.

Agree that Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is probably Adams's best novel.

May I also put in a good word for Last Chance to See..., his travel/natural world book?

Yes, Last Chance To See was breathtaking. Both funny and heartbreaking, a rare trick.

Some of the things that happened to Douglas Adams seem like they could only have come out of a Douglas Adams novel. For example, the woman in the kiosk at some minor airport who never, ever sold anything, because she only accepted local currency and no-one ever had any, because no-one ever stayed long enough to need any.

Reminds me of a museum I once visited on the Greek island of Symi, where the entrance fee was nominally in cash, but was only ever the free voucher you got on the boat - since the museum itself was so bad no-one in their right mind would pay to go in... :)

I think I have all of Douglas Adams' works and they're are all great. It's so terribly sad that he has passed on. Have any of you read the Salmon of Doubt?

drmjwdvm said:
I think I have all of Douglas Adams' works and they're are all great. It's so terribly sad that he has passed on. Have any of you read the Salmon of Doubt?
I have. I found it a bit disappointing - which of course isn't too weird considering what it is; just a collection of everything that could be salvaged from his hard drive, basically. Loose chapters, short stories, essays and speeches... some very funny, some obviously not intended for wide publication. Well worth reading, but don't expect a lost masterpiece or anything.

"Lost masterpiece" No,no that's not what I was implying. I have also read it. The thing for me was that it's the last we'll ever see and that's what made it worthwhile.

Back