• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

"Dr. Goat" by Georgiana

Bullyboy

Just curious if anyone else remembers "Dr. Goat"???. I was talking to grown son last night about children's books. One that came to mind from waaay back-possible copywrite in the 40's...was "Dr. Goat". Let's see what I can remember...
"Doctor Goat put on his coat and went out to make some calls...( some creature getting a mustard plaster?)... He felt the pulse of an elk who was old. Pink pills for an owl with fuzz on his tongue, blue pills for a bat who was very high strung.
....and then one day in the month of May the doctor got out of bed, he felt his throat and then his head, I think I'm ill the doctor said...while he slept his friends came in, they swept the floor neat as a pin, they banked the fire...they fixed some food and fondly brushed the shabby coat of poor old Dr. Goat. And the very next day he was just on his way, three cheers for Dr. Goat!

I'm sure there's parts I got wrong or scrambled, just from memory. Funny aside was best buddy reading this to my children when they were small. The adults might have had a bit of wine with dinner...but my friend had a ball telling a variation of the story about poor old Dr. Goat and his big bag of pills.

I feel completely daft but it was maybe the earliest story I remember. I might still have it, there were some special books I held on to. I would read them to my kids then put them away again..."Don't touch those, they're Dad's books" kept them from destroying them for the grandkids. I must try to find that tonight

Amazing! I did find it among the shelves! Definitely something I'll hold on to. I wouldn't sell it, but on Amazon with a cover prices start at $100...who knew? It was a little dime store children's book.

Amazing! I did find it among the shelves! Definitely something I'll hold on to. I wouldn't sell it, but on Amazon with a cover prices start at $100...who knew? It was a little dime store children's book.

wow definitely a collectible at those kind of prices.

Back