• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dramatic Collapse of Independent Booksellers

Will

Article is here. It's nothing we don't already know, but it's still fairly tragic (but unavoidable, really) and a fair amount of data compiled together in one place.

I honestly don't see any need to hold back the decline artificially.

Follow up piece on the BBC here.

Article is here.
I honestly don't see any need to hold back the decline artificially.

And I rather doubt one could actually do it even if one wanted to, depite the pleas in the article that make it seem like a plausible and desirable thing to do.

Skeptic

Booksellers are not the only ones suffering in this economy, not by a long shot. To expect or think that the government will subsidize all of the small businesses going out of business is ludicrous. Government isn't doing so well itself.

Yes, of course Amazon is a huge factor. Who doesn't want to/need to save money? If I see a book on Amazon for 16 USD [more or less], and the same book is 20 USD [with member discount] at Barnes & Noble, and at the independent book seller for the full price of no less than 25 USD, who do you think I'll buy from?
That's not even taking into account the Amazon Marketplace prices. Now, there is a way to support small independent booksellers, buy Amazon Marketplace. Some of those are private sellers, but a huge percentage small used book stores, independent? Yes! Even counting the shipping fee, that can be a huge savings, plus support small businesses.

If those independents do not evolve, they'll die. As simple as that.

Decline

The decline of independence, period. Though conservative republicans like to tout the laundry list of freedoms that are being lost--including freedom to bear arms--there is a very long list of things in decline or gone due to overall greed, globalization, and lack of political will. If corporations are given the same rights as individuals (5 Supreme Court jurists seem to think so), the individual American schmucks they're stacked up against haven't a chance.

Back