• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dumbledore the bad guy

Fistandantilus

I don't really like Harry potter that much but I think this is interesting;

"he could touch me without hurting himself, he touched my face. For a fleeting instant, Harry thought he saw a gleam of something like triumph in Dumbledores eyes" -The Goblet Of fire

Yes, I noticed that at the time, and found it rather worrying. The fact that Dumbledore looked triumphant got me thinking about whether he could be a bad guy, as I couldn't work out any other explanation. Surely Dumbledore would have been worried by the fact that Voldemort could touch Harry without being harmed, not triumphant? This has never made sense to me, unless you come to the conclusion that Dumbledore has a hidden agenda. I have to say though that his actions since then have not been suspicious, and I have not noticed any other hints. :confused:

Yes, I noticed that too; there are no refrences to it in book 5 which is odd as you would have thought it would be continued.

It would take a lot more then this to convince me that Dumbledore had a hidden agenda. When I read this, it suggested to me that Dumbledore saw something that Voldemort overlooked, perhaps a new weakness caused by using Harry's blood.

where was this quote again, i need to go read it in context. oh god if big d was a bad guy, i don't think i would cope very well.

That one comes from the end of book four, when Harry was briefing Dumbledore on Voldemort's return.

I remember this too, but brushed it off. Perhaps this is connected to the frequent statement that the only person Voldemort is afraid of is Dumbledore. Maybe there's something else to that...

Kookamoor said:
I remember this too, but brushed it off. Perhaps this is connected to the frequent statement that the only person Voldemort is afraid of is Dumbledore. Maybe there's something else to that...

I always thought Voldemort is afreaid of Dumbledore because Dumbledore is so powerful.

If Dumbledore is a bad guy, then the battle between him and Voldemort by the fountain in the lobby of the Ministry of Magic was some kinda act.

Robert said:
It would take a lot more then this to convince me that Dumbledore had a hidden agenda. When I read this, it suggested to me that Dumbledore saw something that Voldemort overlooked, perhaps a new weakness caused by using Harry's blood.
Yeah, I think it's more to do with Harry's affinity for being able to spy on Voldemort than anything sinister. Of course, it's a double-edged sword and Dumbledore treated it as such in OoP. Perhaps it had something to do with the prophecy he had of H and V ...

I brushed it off also, but do you think that dumbledore could be a different kind of evil ie. evil, against harry but not on voldemorts side?

Fistandantilus said:
I brushed it off also, but do you think that dumbledore could be a different kind of evil ie. evil, against harry but not on voldemorts side?

That would certainly be a surprise, but I doubt it. It would bring a new twist to the books but would become so confusing and difficult, besides Dumbledore seems such an accepting person and a person who is honest and mysterious. I don't think he would cower about his loyalties; i.e. against Harry. And if he was against Harry, why would he keep helping him year after year and make sure that he was protected when he lived/ was hid with the Dursleys?

Oberon said:
Yeah, I think it's more to do with Harry's affinity for being able to spy on Voldemort than anything sinister. Of course, it's a double-edged sword and Dumbledore treated it as such in OoP. Perhaps it had something to do with the prophecy he had of H and V ...

Possible, but unlikely since Harry could spy on Voldemort before all that happened.

No, I think it has to do with being able to kill Voldemort.

Fistandantilus said:

No, I don't think so. Dumbledore has been watching over Harry since his folks died. I think with Voldemort, what you see is what you get.

Fistandantilus said:
"keep your freinds close but your enemies closer"

So does that apply to Voldermort watching Snape; Snape watching Voldermort; Voldermort watching Dumbledore; Dumbledore watching Voldermort; Snape watching Dumbledore or finally Dumbledore watching Snape?

Fistandantilus said:
"keep your freinds close but your enemies closer"

I really think you're reading into it more then you need to. Live or die, Dumbledore is one of the good guys.

JK has a tendency

Jk loves to make us look deeper into her books as it makes the anticipation greater did anyone ever wonder about the real reason Voldy is afraid of dumbledore it is fear but not as u have percieved it it is because dumbledore is in charge of voldy

Dermotjpr said:
Jk loves to make us look deeper into her books as it makes the anticipation greater did anyone ever wonder about the real reason Voldy is afraid of dumbledore it is fear but not as u have percieved it it is because dumbledore is in charge of voldy

No, I don't believe so. Of course, it may be Dumbledore's knowledge rather then his power that frightens Voldemort. From what I've seen in the books, the depth of Dumbledore's knowledge is second to none in the would of magic.

Robert said:
Of course, it may be Dumbledore's knowledge rather then his power that frightens Voldemort.

I never really thought about that before but now that I think about it, that is probably part of it. But also remember when Harry saw Dumbledore and Voldermort dueling; he said that the expression Dumbledore had and the way his eyes looked was enough to explain why Voldermort would be scared of Dumbledore.

The reason Voldermort was threatened by Harry was because of the prophacy but also because he was equally powerful. For Dumbledore, it is probably along the same lines.

Dumbledore was a teacher when Tom Riddle was still in school so Tom regarded Dumbledore as superior/with respect then, maybe that view just never changed.

Back