• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Early Readers (Pre-teen & young adult)

TownBear

I am assuming this section is better than the rest of the board for this thread? Please move, if you think otherwise.

I think it'd be interesting to have some tips on how to help early readers get started & interested in reading.

I have a few, I'd really be interested in more, if anyone has any.

- for the very young & learning, have them point at the words as they are saying it

- buy early readers Anything they are willing to read, even if that includes comic books (something many parents tend to push aside for young readers are comic books... hey, if they will read it... let them have it!)

OK, I had more... I forget them right now lol. Sorry.

Your turn :)

Harry Potter!
Seriously, I think it's wonderful how many have started reading because of the recent hype surrounding Harry Potter (of course I'm talking about older readers too!).

I agree with encouraging early readers to read anything and everything they show an interest in.
hey, if they will read it... let them have it!
You might consider it to be pointless fluff but at least they're reading it.

What about reading aloud to young children? Get them to see books as fun, full of adventure, and perhaps they'll soon want to read their own!

Introduce them to books (particularly more difficult literature) in the 'children's editions' - they'll remember them and maybe want to read the complete version when they're older.

Another way might be to make them aware that the films (or computer games) they like are also available in book form! (Think Disney - many of the animated films are based - however loosely - on literature, much of it suitable for young children).

edit;
One other method that's just occured to me. I remember, when I was very young, being given one of those fantasy 'game books' where you have to make a decision about what to do next and read the appropriate section. I later read/played many of these, with dice and scoring (I don't know if anyone is familier with Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone?). I particularly liked the ones where I had to draw a map as I went along! These might be a great way to get young readers interested because they become 'involved' in the story in a very real way.

OK, this is the top four:

Start reading as early as possible.
I used to sit and read a story to our oldest every night. (They'll sit through Beatrix Potter at six months because they can't move yet:D ) Then, later, when she was mobile we gave her all sorts of plastic bath tub books and board books--piles of them--and just let her play with them. (Eventually she learned not to chew them) Soon she was saying, "READ!" and dragging a book along behind her and coming up and plopping it in your lap.

Always build vocabulary and grammar
Sometimes grown-ups think they don't know enough to teach their kids. Its a big fat lie! Compared to a toddler you know plenty! Start in your house and take the child around and point to different things and say the word and then say it in a sentence. They'll get the point and eventually it will be a game and wherever you are they'll want to know words. Anything from the My First Word Book series is great for this too. Lots of picutures and words. If a child can rattle off a a string of words that go along with pictures, hey thats reading too.

If reading doesn't matter to you it won't matter to them
Just like everything else you do your kids are watching and they all have built in shock-proof BS detectors. If you try to tell them reading is important but they never see you read or more importantly you never read to them they'll know you're full of it. This one goes at any age.

Hide the Nintendo, Playstation/Shut off the Television
Self explanatory. Its too much fun and takes way too little brain energy compared to reading.

Here, here, Deerskin and Prolixic! I've read to all of my children. Even now my 12-year-old likes to hear some books aloud. I'm reading The Two Towers to him now.

My boys like their Game Cube, but there are limits. As long as they have their "quite time" every night before bed for reading and as long as they continue to play soccer and throw the football around outside, I'm OK with renting an occasional game. If it gets out of hand, then it's not an option.

My parents read to me...that's sort of how it all began. They even put up with re-reading things 100 times. Eventually, I started correcting 'em if they missread something b/c I'd memorized the books. The things parent's put up with :p

Back