• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Easter Dinner

muggle

What will you have for Easter Dinner. Do you have anything traditional.

We will be spending Easter all by ourselves, just the 2 of us. Our meal will be our traditional:

Baked ham. (wife has a new recipe to try)
Potato salad.
Home baked beans.
Pickled eggs with beets. (I love them with plenty of horseradish)

We will also color some eggs.

Our family heads down to Kansas to see my brother in law and his family. We then eat at hi sister's house and have the traditional fixings. They make homemade rolls that are just to die for. I definitely can't wait until thursday when when we leave to visit them-should make for a great time.

Hello Muggle,

We're not Christian, but we 'celebrate' Easter along with every single other holiday in the year (any excuse for a marathon eating session:rolleyes: )

As the appointed chef, I i'm going to go with a simple, traditional Ham option this year, with Rosemary Garlic Potatoes,simple asparagus,sweet peas and minted carrots.

There'll be the usual Chocolate eggs. But i haven't thought of a dessert yet. Any recommendations? Ideally something that doesn't require too much preparation?

Gem said:
Hello Muggle,

We're not Christian, but we 'celebrate' Easter along with every single other holiday in the year (any excuse for a marathon eating session:rolleyes: )

As the appointed chef, I i'm going to go with a simple, traditional Ham option this year, with Rosemary Garlic Potatoes,simple asparagus,sweet peas and minted carrots.

There'll be the usual Chocolate eggs. But i haven't thought of a dessert yet. Any recommendations? Ideally something that doesn't require too much preparation?

Thanks Gem for participating. "Everyone" is invited to post their menu, regardless of religious affiliation, if any.

Every year we have about the same menu... top of the list is a Honey Baked spiral cut ham (mmmm!), leg of lamb, mashed potatoes, gravy, broccoli casserole and green beans.

Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter are the three times of the year I throw caution to the wind and eat a lot of artery clogging food. I have a large family and food is the centerpiece of most of our annual gatherings. With family and friends it is just too good to resist!

Muggle, tell me how to make pickled eggs and beets, please. It sounds like my kind of dish. The kids would gag, giving it a double plus.
I actually do want it, though, sounds super yummy.

Nothing special is planned for my family this year so it will just be whatever happens to be around the kitchen at the time.

bren said:
Muggle, tell me how to make pickled eggs and beets, please. It sounds like my kind of dish. The kids would gag, giving it a double plus.
I actually do want it, though, sounds super yummy.
Hard boil about 12 to 18 eggs (depending on how many you want):)and shell them.

Put them in a small crock or another similar container.

Open (2) 16 oz. jars of sliced "pickled beets" and pour, including the juice, over the eggs covering them. We like the sliced "Greenwood" Sweet & Tangy brand of Pickled Beets.

Put them in the refrigerator and let stand for a min. of 2 days so that the beet juice penetrates the eggs.

I'm gonna meet up with parents and siblings and in-laws and go to tradtional easter dinner at som friends of the family. They serve traditional Swedish Easter food: Eggs of course, Janssons frestelse which is sort of like potatoes au gratin ( I don't know if that's a proper phrase, but that's what my dictionary called it) with anchovy, and of course pickled herring, which I always try to avoid, but in a ridiculous attempt to grow up I have decided to try som this year. Usually there are som sausages and meatballs thrown in there as well, I mean hello we are Swedes, we must have the Swedish meatballs always, right? ;)

I will probably just have some chocolate. Well, plenty of chocolate. I've got my eye on a Green & Blacks Organic Easter Egg this year, and enough hints have been dropped.

As for meals, whatever's available. Probably a chicken stirfry.

Maybe just dinner out at a small local French restaurant with bbw. Otherwise a quiet day at home -- near the keyboard. :)
And yay those Swedish meatballs! But how about anchovies in wine sauce (gaffelbittar ?) if pickled herring is too much? Or herring in sour cream?
Peder

I'm headed back home to my mom's for brunch. It's been a few years since I have made it for Easter, so I don't really know what they eat. I'll be happy if there is quiche and OJ. For dinner I will probably make my mom take me to this great spanish place (aptly named Spain) as she took me there for my birthday last year and it is the day after Easter this year.

Stewart said:
I will probably just have some chocolate. Well, plenty of chocolate. I've got my eye on a Green & Blacks Organic Easter Egg this year, and enough hints have been dropped.

Sounds fantasitc. I tried to hint to my mother that I'd like perhaps a book and a nice chocolate bar, but I'm fairly certain she'll force a basket full of stuffed animals and junky chocolate on me like she did last year. I should be more appreciative that I have a mom who still wants to buy me easter gifts and pretend a giant bunny brought them. It will sit on top of my cabinets until the following year when it gets thrown out. Thinking about this made me remember last years candy and I have just thrown it out. Note to all, Peeps look EXACTLY the same even after sitting out with a small hole in the wrapping (I like them stale) for over a year. How gross is that?

Well, Poppy, of all three children, not one will touch a boiled egg (11, 13, 18). So, me and my pink eggs, now having steeped for two days, will be very happy together;) . I'll probably try it out on some unsuspecting grown ups, Saturday when we'll be getting together. This is a totally new dish to me, we'll see if it is for everyone else too.

Stewart said:
Ooh, yummy. Care to share? I'll fetch the alcohol. :p

mehastings, that's gross. :D

abecedarian said:
Peeps, stale or fresh, are not of God:p Now Cadbury eggs on the other hand, are divine!

Agreed on the peeps. They are disgusting. The fact that there wasn't any change (other than them getting a bit stiff) over the course of a year is enough for me. I won't be eating them ever again, even the stale ones.

I like the Cadbury mini eggs best. The stuff in the middle of the big ones is too sweet for me.

bren said:
Well, Poppy, of all three children, not one will touch a boiled egg (11, 13, 18). So, me and my pink eggs, now having steeped for two days, will be very happy together;) . I'll probably try it out on some unsuspecting grown ups, Saturday when we'll be getting together. This is a totally new dish to me, we'll see if it is for everyone else too.
When you eat one of the eggs it is good to also have a few of the beets. I really like a little horseradish with my pickled eggs. It gives them a little oomph. The eggs are even better, and a darker color pink, after 3 days.

Back