• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Eleanor Catton: The Luminaries

DATo

I am about 30 pages into the 2013 Man-Booker Prize winner, The Luminaries, by Eleanor Catton. This book came to my attention about a year ago recommended by a trusted fellow book lover at another website. Shortly after the award was announced the library system where I live had about 30 copies in circulation and yet the waiting list to check it out would place me in line behind over 800 readers. I decided to wait it out and did not reserve it. Yesterday - one year later - I found three copies on the shelf at my local branch. They looked so lonely sitting there that I just had to take one home with me.

Catton, at 28, is the youngest author to win the Man - Booker: quite an accomplishment considering that this is only her second book. So far I find myself captivated by Catton's writing style and though I have only just begun this 832 page tome I am confidant that I will not be disappointed.

I will have more to offer as I get further into the book.

Back