• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Elvira, Yellow Roses, Spaghetti and a Librarian

KendallPenn

I read a book a few years ago and I thought it was just fantastic, but I cant remember the name. It's about an 11 or so year-old girl named Elvira (or something else equally horrible). She lives with her father in a trailer and they are pretty poor. One day while grocery shopping, she decides to buy a yellow rose bush from a street vendor. Noticing that it is dying, she decides to go to the library to get a book about rose care. She meets the librarian, a nice woman with two young sons and decides to set her up with her father. In the meantime, Elvira's father is feeling like he can't raise her, so he calls upon his older sister to take care of Elvira. Elvira doesnt want this to happen so she arranges a date between her father and the librarian where she serves homemade spaghetti and lemon meringue pie. This doesnt ignite any romance between the pair, so Elvira digs up the rose bush and starts running. It starts raining and she gets pretty sick and is found by her father. Then he realizes that he can take care of her and everyone lives happily everafter.

Even though it seems like I already know the complete plot, I would still like to read it again and perhaps add to my collection of great children's books
Thanks!

Kendall

Back