• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Emmuska Orczy: The Scarlet Pimpernel

Fantasy Moon

kickbox
I just finished reading this wonderful novel and must admit that I love it! I look forward to beginning the sequels once I can get my hands on them. Has anyone else read it and would like to discuss it with me?

One of the scenes I liked was when Percy brought his wife home from the ball and after she left to go to bed, he bent down to kiss all the places she had walked. Ah, if only they could have been more open about their love!

Oh, the last "either-or" was most shocking, don't you think? Having to choose between the two people you love most dearly...

I know a woman (happily married, middle-aged and the mother of four) who is hopelessly in love with Percy, and has been for years. Seriously! :)

StillILearn said:
I know a woman (happily married, middle-aged and the mother of four) who is hopelessly in love with Percy, and has been for years. Seriously! :)
Would that be a bad thing really? ;)

I could see how Percy could be an object of affection. :D I find myself rather taken with him. *sighs* I fall for the characters in books so easily.

This is soooo off topic, but when I saw the title of this thread I involuntarily chuckled because I'm reminded of Black Adder's Scarlet Pimpernel episode. Now that was *soooo* funny.

ds

direstraits said:
This is soooo off topic, but when I saw the title of this thread I involuntarily chuckled because I'm reminded of Black Adder's Scarlet Pimpernel episode. Now that was *soooo* funny.

ds

Oooooh. Where can I find that? My Pimpy fan will simply die for it! :D

direstraits said:

ds
This book always makes me think of Daffy Duck in the 'Scarlet Pumpernickel'. I spent most of my childhood thinking that was the name of the book! Oh Bugs Bunny, how you shaped my learning... :D

It's rather difficult to find some of the novels through interlibrary loans, but I shall not give up. :) Might try the campus library since I could always find interesting stuff through it. Now that I finished the first book I have the desire to see how the film adaptations measure up so at the moment I have a request placed for the version that has Leslie Howard in it.

Ah, heroes in disguises! Perhaps another reason to admire Percy. ^_^

StillILearn said:
Who else have you fallen in love with? :)
Where do I begin? ^^;;

I finally got my hands on I Will Repay. Not that far into it at the moment, but I am enjoying it. Ugh, what's wrong with me? I'm liking romances, this isn't right! :p

I just finished the book (at 2am) and I have to admit it was really a let-down. The plot was rather bland. I awaited a lot more cleverness, adventure and swashbuckling. The problem, I think, is that the author keeps telling is Marguerite is clever and Percy is brave and cunning, but never really shows this. There really was no point to anything Marguerite did afer she found out Percy's identity 0 I expected much more from 'the cleverest woman in Europe.' However, assuming that Percy is the brave and daring and devoted man the author says he is, I could see how he would be attractive (I've had my share of being in love with fictional characters). He never really came alive for me, though. As far as adventure novels go, I prefer Dumas - better plots and male characters I simply swoon over!

Back