• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Eragon

Votes: 8 61.5%

Votes: 3 23.1%

Votes: 2 15.4%

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters

MagicalMystery

Has anyone read Eragon?

Eragon is one of my favorite books, it is like Lord of the Rings in a way. I think many would like it if they read it.:) :cool: :D ;)

Has anyone read Eragon by Christpher Paolini? I went book shopping today and didnt find anything i liked in the adult fantasy section so went to the teenage fantasy bit and found this. Looked interesting :D

Amy :D

I think it partly depends how much reading in fantasy the reader has done. I started to read it, but found it predictable and derivative of many other fantasy books. It's hard to explain, but it wasn't just that there were ideas common to fantasy (like dragons) but that it felt more copied, like cutting and pasting a lot of fantasy books together to make a new one.

However, if the reader hadn't read a lot of other fantasy, they wouldn't notice that the ideas all came from elsewhere.

I actually couldn't finish it, and usually I have a hard time giving up on a book. I think it's more a "check out from the library" book than a "pay the hefty hardcover price" book.

I think I'd have to agree with M&O on this, except that I was able to get through it, and am comforted by the hope of an improved sequal.

It was like ... a star wars plot, with Anne McCaffrey dragons, Lord of the Rings dwarves and elves, and Diane Duane's if-you-know-the-word-in-the-original-language-then-you-can-control-it sort of magic. Not very original, but an enjoyable read.

I agree with M&Q and Stalky! I got the book for Christmas and started reading it immediately becaus it just sounded so good and I LOVED the cover ;) .

But then I found myself imagining how the story could go on and even how the first book would end. And, big surprise, I was right with almost every guess. That doesn't make it a bad book, of course. I would highly recommend it to anyone who's just starting to read fantasy and isn't so used to typical plot twists, fantastic races and prophecies.

For all Tolkien geeks and people who've read a lot of fantasy it's a nice read, but nothing special. Just another little star on the big black sky of fantasy literature.

My brother read Eragon and he liked it, and I was gonna read it, but I've lost interest now. I agree that it seemed a bit full of cliches. That's what I've heard, and when I flicked through it that's what I found.

And besides, I gotta admit I see Chris as a rival! I wanted to be the first published home-schooled teenage author!! :mad:

Apparently the book did really well in America, more popular than Harry Potter for a while. But it seems quite unpopular in Australia, is that also the case in Scotland? :confused:

Of course the book did well - it's after all like another, a little changed JKR story. Poor guy who's been home-schooled (which isn't a bad thing, of course) and had to print his first story himself suddenly gets rich because the book is just SO great that EVERYBODY has to have it, even if it's nothing special. Ah well... I'm glad for him - let him have his money! Let him build his hobbit hole - you know that's what he's doing, right? His dream, building a hobbit hole is coming true!

Nah Harry Potter is more popular than Eragon. Though The series of Unfortunate events is becoming ver popular.

Amy :D

Catalyst said:
Nah Harry Potter is more popular than Eragon. Though The series of Unfortunate events is becoming ver popular.

I found the first book of the Series of Unfortunate Events quite awful... this is REALLY a children's story.

The first book isnt as good as the rest. They are definatly kids books, an easy read, but are still good books. Its just a fun read :)

Amy

Catalyst said:
The first book isnt as good as the rest. They are definatly kids books, an easy read, but are still good books. Its just a fun read :)

Hmm, maybe I should give it another try, then. If it does get better... the books also get thicker, right? I believe I've seen "The slippery slope" in a book shop and it was at least twice as big as the first volume.

Yeah they do get bigger. Its wierd as they are all 13 chapters long but they are all different sizes. Im just finishing the Slippery Slope. Its the best one so far. The first 8 or so get a little repetitive as they are shipped to diffrerent guardians and Olaf is always after them. But as you get into the mystery of V.F.D. its pretty clever and gets you thinking :D

Amy

And in the most recently published one, The Grim Grotto, things sort of start to look up for the Baudelaires, rather than them ending in complete misery. I wonder if they will triumph in the 13th book, or will Snicket try to break the norm and have everyone end unhappily?

I honestly love Eragon and I admire Chris Paolini (wrote the first draft at the age of 15). I believe that lotr fans are just jealous of the book's popularity, lotr fans have a knack at being jealous (cough*harry potter*, talk to Emerson - owner of mugglenet - and he'll tell you about death threats).

I thought this book was awesome as well. What I don't get is how he actually denies any Tolkien influence...maybe it's just his youth shining through...

(and no, I'm not that much older than he)

I can't wait for Elder which is the title of the second book of this Inheritance Trilogy.

Back