• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Erik Larson: In the Garden of Beasts

crlovel

I'm currently reading "In the Garden of Beasts" by Erik Larson, the story of William Dodd and his family, who were the American ambassadors to Germany in 1933. Amazing story about an amazingly naive and oblivious man and his overly promiscuous daughter as Germany succumbs to insanity.

I've been reading this one much more slowly than normal, as I keep looking up names as they appear on Wikipedia and other sources. The story is frightening. It's also pretty sad in that, so far, I've yet to find a single respectable person.

Excellent book, even if a little depressing; it's a fascinating look into German and American politics of the 1930's.

I agree. And I too read it at a slower pace. Normally I would "skim" over parts but not in this book. It was a fascinating view into how this psycho (Hitler) came to power. Nobody took him very seriously at first. I was engrossed from the first page.

I grew up in Germany and always had a hard time figuring out how a people who I thought of as lovely, giving and kind could also be the same people who committed such atrocities.

I don't remember who I'm quoting but it seems so appropriated for this book. "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to stand by and do nothing."

I finished this book not too long ago. It had some interesting insights with an American in Germany as Hitler comes to power. However, I wasn't so enthralled with Martha as the viewpoint character. She seemed to self-involved for my taste. I did find the State Department insights interesting, too.

I've read a fair number on how Hitler came to power. This definitely sounds like one more to read. Thanks for the heads-up.:flowers:

Back