• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Evelyn Waugh

saliotthomas

Searching the forum i found not thread about Mr Waugh(whom i thought was Miss for a long time)

Wiki wiki---->Evelyn Waugh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I just finished Brideshead revisited read by jeremy Irons.The writing is classic and lyrical not as funny as people so often point out.
The story is about lives in English society at a turning point and is interesting in the lenght of time on wich it occure.Not as long as 100 years of solitude but long enough to grasp the change and desilusion of teenagers turning to adulthood and old age.The disparition of a grand way of life and of a certain high bourgoisie,a bit comparable to Scott Fitzgerald in that.
A beautifull book :star4:+++,i look forward reading more Waugh for his mastery in the use of English language.

Brideshead Revisited is one of my favourite books. It seems to be inexplicably unpopular. It's a fantastic chronicle of that era, has some excellent characters, and the writing is just amazing.

I do have a complaint though:
I get the delicate balance of it all. I get how Julia is an attempt for Charles to get Sebastien out of his system, an how Sebastien's absence was necessary for this to happen. But still, there's no getting around that the best character drunk himself out of the story two thirds of the way through it.

Also, the miniseries of Brideshead Revisited, starring Jeremy Irons is, by virtue of its faithfulness and completeness, almost as good as the book itself. I've not seen the recent movie but I've heard almost uniformly bad things.

I also just finished A Handful of Dust. Much like Brideshead Revisited it seemed like two books, who happened to share a cast of characters, grafted together. Having said that it was still great. Not as good as Brideshead, but still very good. Does anyone know where I should go from there, if I want more good Waugh? Those are the two famous ones.

Brideshead Revisited's not too bad. It don't deserve all the praise heaped on't, there are aplenty better. But it's worth a peek and filled with champagne and upper-class twits.

To Christtheblogger:

There are two other exceptional novels by E. Waugh. They make up two thirds of the triad completed by Handful of Dust.

They are Decline and Fall and Vile Bodies.

I hope you enjoy them.

What about Scoop? This is supposed to be one of the best and funniest books ever written about journalism and journalists. I currently have it out from my local library and hope to read it soon. I too used to think that this author was female. Oh the shame of ignorance! :-(

Andy

Back