• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Everything Bad is Good for You

KristoCat

I recently read this book and I thought it was really interesting and difficult to argue against. Steven Johnson's main thesis is that developments in popular culture over the last thirty years or so has been slowly but surely making us smarter.

Johnson mainly looks at video games and television, but also discusses movies and the Internet. He focuses on the demands that these various forms of entertainment actually make on our brains. For example, heavy gamers develop amazing problem-solving skills, and they develop the ability to probe new environments in an intelligent manner and to constantly keep a nested hierarchy of goals in mind as they solve problems and navigate in the game world.

Television has also become a lot more stimulating. If you look at a series such as The Sopranos or Lost, you see multiple threading (storylines) in each episode, and the content of the episode forces the viewer to keep track of multiple plotlines as well as rememeber and incorporate information from previous shows, sometimes occurring weeks before the current show.

Johnson is also not saying that we should throw away such traditional mind-stimulators such as books. He is just saying that popular entertainment should be looked at a little more closely for the reasons outlined above.

Overall I thought it was a great book. Extremely interesting.

Seems an interesting book, especially for me. I might read it in the summer.

I would also like to add that, everything good is bad for you, if done excessively. ;)

I really enjoyed it. His ideas about the development of thinking and reasoning skills through video games and the need for more intricate plots in television and movies felt right on. At the same time, I didn't feel like he was completely rejecting literature and reading, just stating that these other forms might have a less negative role in the conversations about cognitive development than many would like us to think.

btw - the author has a pretty interesting blog as well. www.stevenberlinjohnson.com/

Back