• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Everything I need to know about the English, I learned from mysteries.

cgw

As far as I can tell, English care little when their relatives get killed.

They have a very class oriented society:
Is it true that only nobility have a type A personality?
Could it be that the entire middle class is bogged down in a humdrum life or is actively cheating on their spose?
And do all lower class people distrust the police?

And, of course, all Americans are loud and obnoxious.

You have to remember that these are fiction books, first off. If you watch TV shows and movies, you form assumptions about a nation's people that aren't necessarily true.

It's true that in British mysteries, people are oddly blase' about their murdered relatives, I always thought that was because of the famous British "stiff upper lip". But on American TV shows, when a relative is murdered, sometimes I think the relatives show an appalling lack of grief. If a member of my family was murdered, I would be collapsed in tears, I don't know that I would be able to get through an interview with the police without breaking down crying.

I can't speak for the English, but people are pretty much the same all over, at least in the West. Yes, some of us have humdrum lives; some of us cheat on spouses; and some Americans are loud and obnoxious, but not all of us. :D

would it not depend from which period of history you are basing your statement.

The class system has been pretty much defunct for the last 40 years.

Stereotypes In Most Fiction

you Have To Remember That These Are Fiction Books, First Off. If You Watch Tv Shows And Movies, You Form Assumptions About A Nation's People That Aren't Necessarily True.

It's True That In British Mysteries, People Are Oddly Blase' About Their Murdered Relatives, I Always Thought That Was Because Of The Famous British "stiff Upper Milip". But On American Tv Shows, When A Relative Is Murdered, Sometimes I Think The Relatives Show An Appalling Lack Of Grief. If A Member Of My Family Was Murdered, I Would Be Collapsed In Tears, I Don't Know That I Would Be Able To Get Through An Interview With The Police Without Breaking Down Crying.

I Can't Speak For The English, But People Are Pretty Much The Same All Over, At Least In The West. Yes, Some Of Us Have Humdrum Lives; Some Of Us Cheat On Spouses; And Some Americans Are Loud And Obnoxious, But Not All Of Us. :d

Missshelf
Right On!!!
Stereotyping Is Always Dangerous And Usually Off The Mark.

I LOVE STEREOTYPES!

I just thought I'd throw that in there to see what happened :p

You right, CGW, I've noticed the same stereotypes in English murder mysteries. Another one I see a lot is that every Englishman (and woman) is capable of murder and deceit. But I guess that's and important piece in making the story more mysterious or, it would be too easy to spot the murderer.

Funny how most Canadians are stereotyped as big, dumb, back-woodsmen types. :)

Back