• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fahrenheit 451

direstraits

I approached this work on censorship with huge expectations. I have strong feelings about censorship, and was hoping the book would strike a chord with perhaps what I'm feeling about the whole thing.

It didn't really turn out as I expected. It wasn't a treatment of censorship per se, but a look into the future as to what happens after books are no longer welcome in society. In this worldview, it does seem like Bradbury is attempting depict a carefully cultivated and tightly controlled society, but I get the feeling that people like Neal Stephenson and William Gibson would probably be able to do better.

Why Bradbury thinks books will not be welcomed in the future is interesting. I suppose I do agree with his basic premise that as the world grows, creative works have to be increasingly sensitive to the various cultures and ethnicity so that it doesn't offend. And this leads to the stifling of creativity as everyone is afraid of accidentally offending everyone else, and the net result is work so devoid of life it's boring. Everything in the media is sanitized many times over, and everyone is spoonfed with sterile stuff, diminishing intelligence.

Hmmm....

ds

Back