• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fairy tales!

Catalyst

i wasnt sure if this should be in the fantasy section or kids section so dont moan if it isnt in the correct one ;)
what do kids these days expect of fairy tales? i would love to write some but the kind that i like are the old kind like ones done by cristian anderson and the likes! im not sure if kids like then anymore! also they are really violent! during one that i read called Big Claus and Little Clause, 5 horses, 2 grannies, a farmer and Big Claus died awful deaths! is it ok to write like that anymore?
Another thing is do fairy tales always have to have a moral meaning to them?

amy :D

According to Bruno Bettleheim, children have very strrong sense of morality and don't like bad characters being let off without punishment, although adults may claim that it's inhuman. I personally think that the best fairy tales can be understood on different levels, for example those Andersen's, and therefore are suitable for different ages.

There's nothing like putting your stepmother in a barrell with really sharp nails and push it from the hill...

*evil laughter*

This is what I remember from the fairy tales I read without my mom's censorship in the childhood. To be honest, I think that children at a certain age - ten, let's say - prefer bloody, dark stories. Have a look at today's Road Runner and Coyote story, or Tom and Jerry. A piano must fell on someone's head. Then - it's fun. Or Harry Potter - before the fifth part there had been polls in the Net: who will die? I didn't guess, unfortunately. :(

Back