• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fantasy author to write new 'Isaac Asimov' novels

I felt ill about this trend before, now I'm alarmed. I don't understand why these authors don't simply write new material, as opposed to hijacking old names. I say hijacking because my hopes for good novels in these lines have been most mercilessly trampled. I read Dracula, The Undead and all I wanted was for the blatant cliches and rip-offs to end.

The whole point of writing is for an author to convey his/her ideas and the stories of his/her mind, don't some of you agree? The stories and characters are the engines to that goal, and while most of us read the books for the story's sake, we also partake of the ideas (and questioning thereof) to some degree, consciously or not. But if an author starts writing sequels to another author's work, isn't he just riding along, making money off a name that's been established and writing a story tailored to what we want to expect from the old author? And then, if all we want are stories built to meet one theme, character set and plot-line type, why not simply consign their writing... to machines?

Back