• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fantasy Battles

Self said:
The battle of Helms Deep with Legolas & Gimli keeping score was excellent.
I'll have to ditto that. I also think that the Helm's Deep battle scene was the best in all of the LOTR movies. I loved it when the archers shot the arrows over the battlement - it looks awesome, for lack of a better word :D

I agree Monkey - I was a bit worried about the movie not doing the scene justice, but all in all, they did a good job. The Ents were a lot taller in my mind however - you can't have everything. A movie can never compete with a book, or your imagination, but they did well I think.

Self said:
I agree Monkey - I was a bit worried about the movie not doing the scene justice, but all in all, they did a good job. The Ents were a lot taller in my mind however - you can't have everything. A movie can never compete with a book, or your imagination, but they did well I think.
Yeah, I think that they did a great job on the movie. They stuck pretty well to the plot of the stories, and the parts that they did leave out were the best ones to miss, IMHO. And plus it helps that they had the best director on earth ;) :p .

I also pictured the Ents to look different - I also pictured them to be much bigger - but all things considered, I think that they did a great job in costuming. I actually went to the world premiere of Return of the King in Wellington, and they had like a parade down the main road in Welly with orcs and warriors and such in full costume. They looked /amazing/ up close, especially the orcs and those people that were riding the olliphants (sp?) :eek:

oliphaunts

They did the ents very much as I imagined them - after all it wouldn't really work with the forest image if the ents stuck out above the tree tops - so I was quite happy. Only thing I did miss a bit was their big swaying movements - I missed The Last March of the Ents, where they actually march and Treebeard strikes his own flanks to provide a drum rhythm to march to - that didn't work with the moves they gave them in the movie - but I can live with that.

"To Isengard with doom we come
Ta runda runda runda rom"

deffinately the wells battle with the Asha'man by jordan, and the later skirmishes in the mountains between Illian and Altara - Dragon vs the Return respectivly.

i'll repeat allot of people and say the Legend book by gemmel as well as the Hawk Queen and The Rigante series by the same author.

the first battle between the Rahl empire and the Order in the Western midlands with the Mother Confessor leading, and the revolution in Faith of the Fallen all by Goodkind.

i prefereed the battle outside of Minas Tirith more than the Helm's deep battle or the Five Armies in Hobbit.

The Battle of the Ten Towns in the Icewind Dale Trilogy by RA Salvatore where the ten towns resedents and the dale barbarians band together to defeat the attacking horde of that wizard bloke...

Thats all i can think of at the moment but given a little time i'm sure to think of some more... how about some Sci-Fi battles?

Jemima Aslana said:
oliphaunts
Ah, thanks :) It's been awhile since I read the books.

Only thing I did miss a bit was their big swaying movements - I missed The Last March of the Ents, where they actually march and Treebeard strikes his own flanks to provide a drum rhythm to march to - that didn't work with the moves they gave them in the movie - but I can live with that.
Ah, yes, I knew that they were missing something important. That would have really looked good on the movie I think - I liked it when they had the orcs slamming their spears and what-not into the ground before they charged at Helm's Deep, and so I think that the Ents also banging a marching tune would have made a brilliant juxta-position.

I know I'm slightly off topic again, but on the Tolkien theme, I wish they could have found a place for Old Man Willow in the Old Forest, Tom Bombadil & Goldmoon, & the Barrow Wight. Some of my favourite scenes. Book 1 is my favourite. Bree & Weathertop were well done. My biggest gripe is the inclusion of Arwen (as beautiful as Liv is) & the need to make Aragorn go over the cliff. Still - I own the extended edition box sets, so that tells you my criticisms are minor.

Back