• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

favorite fantasy author

PHILJ76

just wondering what everyones fav authors are.

i've read tolkien, goodkind, martin, jordan, eddings, brooks, weis, hickman, pullman, and some others who aren't popping into my head right now, but i'd have to say that my favorite is probably terry brooks. and george rr martin is right behind, but it's early in his series so he might pull a jordan on me. just wondering what you all thought.

My favourite authors changes when i find new authors to try.

At the moment though my favourites are:

Terry Brooks
Terry Goodkind
Sarah Zettel
Anne Bishop
Jim Butcher
Robin Hobb
R Salvatore
J.K Rowling
Elizabeth Haydon
Holly Black
Laurell K Hamilton
Mark Anthony
Jan Siegel
Sarah Ash

rune :)

Blasfimy!

I would have to say that currently, Laurelly K. Hamilton stands as my favorite Fantasy/Science Fiction author. Amelia Atwater-Rhodes comes in at second -->But that would most likely be because I don't have a broad range of Fantast/Science Fiction books as of recently.

R Salvatore? Are his Drizzt books actually any good? I rather enjoy the D&D Forgotten Realms Universe but ive never read any of the books - can you suggest what a good place to start may be, there seem to be sooo many of them out!!

Phil :)

Originally posted by phil_t
R Salvatore? Are his Drizzt books actually any good? I rather enjoy the D&D Forgotten Realms Universe but ive never read any of the books - can you suggest what a good place to start may be, there seem to be sooo many of them out!!

Phil :)

I think Drizzt is one of my favourite characters of R Salvatore. If you like dark fantasy with great fight scenes, you'll love the Drizzt books.
There are a lot out there and to be honest I dont know where you could start. I started with The Dark Elf Trilogy, which introduces us to Drizzt as a youngster. After that well it's up to you as there are different plot lines depending on what trilogy you read.

rune

My single favorite writer would have to be George R R Martin. He is just an awesome writer and His writings are a breath of fresh air in the fantasy genre. Really top notch books so far, hopefully he'll continue this.

My second favorites include
Melanie Rawn.
C S Friedman

No offence but JK Rowling just can't write books for nuts. They're so broing.

I like Ian Irvine, Tolkien and whoever wrote the Old Kingdom trilogies.

Originally posted by Kinkster
No offence but JK Rowling just can't write books for nuts. They're so broing.

I think you're trolling there, kinkie! :D

Dave Duncan is good and he's versatile within the fantasy genre, with his latest series on the King's Blades an excellent study of honor and duty.

Stephen R. Donaldson's short story collection Reave the Just and Other Tales shows he can put together great short fiction as well as the LOONNNG novels/series.

+ to Melanie Rawn--and what's up? haven't seen the end of the Exiles serie yet!

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the author to whom I owe my nickname: Roger Zelazny.

I owe it to myself to investigate Martin--I remember his Sandkings story and that's about it...

O

I said Melanie Rawn for her Dragon prince trilogy and dragon star trilogy. I've given up on her finishing the exile trilogy.

Steven Erikson is, in my opinion, the greatest fantasy writer out there. (is this an American site, cause he hasn't been released there yet). Other favs include Robin Hobb, George martin and China Miéville.

This is a UK site, although there are many Americans here, as well as people from elsewhere around the world :) Were a multicultural bunch you know :p

Phil

I love, love, love Mercedes Lackey. Her writing is easy to read, her stories are engaging, and her characters are incredibly real.

I've also been reading the Orson Scott Card Ender series. Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow together are can't-put-it-down stuff.

I've just found a new author which as gone onto my favourites list. If you havent read his stuff I can recommend it.

Chris Wooding

rune :)

I recently picked up Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth Series (Seven or eight dauntingly thick volumes) and found it very engaging. (The last two books sort of dragged on a bit, but they were still good uns.) I like the way he puts his characters together. They seem to act like real people.

I tried Terry Brooks Shannarra books but those characters seemed to be cardboard cutouts in comparison. Good setting, but I couldn't handle the characters.

Lets see...I still think Roger Zelazny wrote some great fantasy stuff though he sort of blurred the lines between it and sci-fi on occasion.

Ashlea: I've never read any Lackey, but I do like Card. I like his book Enchanted too. Its Sleeping Beauty with a twist.

Currently:
Sheri S. Tepper
Ursula (K) le Guin
Elizabeth Moon
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Sarah Zettel
Cecilia Dart-Thornton

At the moment i like:
Phillip Pullman
Garth Nix
and Terry Pratchett

I've only just strted the discworld series and it looks like ill be reading it for ages...

Originally posted by Prolixic
Ashlea: I've never read any Lackey, but I do like Card. I like his book Enchanted too. Its Sleeping Beauty with a twist.

If you liked Enchanted then there are a few Lackey books you'd like. She plays around with the fairy tales a bit as well.

I have quite a few authors for this category.:D

E.R. Eddison
Robert E. Howard
Lord Dunsany
Terry Brooks
Midori Snyder
Michael Moorcock
Andre Norton
C.L. Moore
Roger Zelazny
Melanie Rawn
Tad Williams
Nictzin Dyalhis
Orson Scott Card
Katherine Kurtz
Leigh Brackett
C.J. Cherryh
Karl Edward Wagner
Lin Carter
Fritz Leiber
Mercedes Lackey
Phillip Pullman
Ursula K. Le Guin
Guy Gavriel Kay
L.E. Modesitt Jr.
Robin Hobb
Samuel R. Delany
P.C. Hodgell
L. Sprague de Camp
Gordon R. Dickson
Henry Kuttner
H.P. Lovecraft
David Farland
Stephen King
Patricia McKillip
J.V. Jones
Nancy Springer

There's a whole lot more to this list but it's buried in head somewhere unable to be called forth at this time. But that's a fairly good selection of my favorite fantasy authors ranging form short stories to books these are the authors that have fueled my fantasy passion for quite a while.

Steven Erikson, excellent
Robin Hobb, not bad
George Martin, excellent
China Miéville, too wierd for me
Terry Pratchett read a loy of his stuff when I was younger and really enjoyed it. Might pick up a copy again of his later books.
Ursula (K) le Guin. Earthsea was great
Elizabeth Moon, found her books very annoying, horse ridding and space opera, errr I think not.
Tolkien, excellent
David Weber, great space / military books.

I'll add more later

Authors I am looking forard to reading
Terry Goodkind
R Salvatore

Back