• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Favourite 2005 Fantasy Reads?

MonkeyCatcher

Rune said:
So what are your favourite fantasy reads for this year :D

Some of the books that I enjoyed immensely this year (I'm bound to miss a few):

The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham
Cross Stitch (aka Outlander) by Diana Gabaldon
Darkfall and Darksong by Isobelle Carmody
Trickster's Choice and Trickster's Queen by Tamora Pierce
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K Rowling
and
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

I haven't read much fantasy this year but for me the standouts were:

Shadowfall by James Clemens[this series is going to be one heck of a ride]

Srolls of the ancient by Robert Newcomb

The darkness that comes before by R Scott Bakker[ One of the most brilliant & well drawn stories i have ever read]

ps: I know the last two weren't released in 2005 but i got my hands on them recently:D

Because I reread a lot of books, and sheer number of books I have read this year, I'm going to limit it to books published in 2005 (or will be published in 2005).

1. Vellum by Hal Duncan
2. Orphans of Chaos by John C. Wright
3. Genizah at the House of Shepher - Tamar Yellin
4. Eternity and Other Stories - Lucius Shepard
5. Kakfka by the Shore -Haruki Murakami (I read the Japanese version several years ago, but this was the first english edition)
6. From the Files of the Time Rangers by Richard Bowes
7. In the Palace of Repose by Holly Phillips
8. A Princess of Roumania by Paul Park
9. Looking for Jake by China Mieville
10. The Warrior Prophet by R. Scott Bakker
11. Tumbling After by Paul Witcover
12. Black Juice by Margo Lanagan
13. Starwater Strains by Gene Wolfe
14. Yume Me Hon: Book of Dreams by Catherynne M. Valente
15. Magic for Beginners by Kelly Link
16. Mothers and Other Monsters by Maureen Mchugh
17. Sanity and the Lady by Brian Aldiss
18. The Emperor of Gondwanaland: And Other Stories by Paul di Filippo

I left 2 blank because I'm in the middle of John Crowley's Lord Byron's Novel: The Evening Land and Jeffrey Ford's Girl in the Glass and no doubt they will end up high on that list.

Books I enjoyed this summer were:

1. Tigana by Guy Kay
2. Assasin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb
3. Royal Assasin by Robin Hobb
4. Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn by Tad Williams

This was the year I discovered Guy Gavriel Kay... mmmm... best new discovery since I began reading fantasy and realised there were new worlds out there to discover! :) Thanks, ds, for being Mr Kay's publicist - it wasn't unwarranted!

Hey Kook, did you miss the thread? I'm supposed to *be* Kay, not his publicist. I just happen to live quite far from Canada, that's all. :)

I have read a little too many non-fantasy this year, so my list is so short, I can't remember what I have read this year at all. Oh, I read Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 and HP6, but neither will be a Top Read... unless they become Top Reads by default. Naahh...

ds

direstraits said:
Hey Kook, did you miss the thread? I'm supposed to *be* Kay, not his publicist. I just happen to live quite far from Canada, that's all. :)
Of course! My bad, I'm sorry :) KL is pretty close... similar climate... um... yeah.

I read Year of our War by Steph Swainston this week and really enjoyed it, a good book to have discovered from 2005 :D

This year I discovered Connie Willis to my delight :) She's a very versitile writer and can turn out great writing in different styles. Comparing Doomsday Book to To Say Nothing of the Dogwas a lot of fun and very impressive.

My fav this year would definitely have to be either the Aquasilva Trilogy(Anselm Audley) or Taliesin from the Pendragon Cycle (Stephen Lawhead)

Back