• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Finally! A book on Stuxnet.

sparkchaser

Administrator and Stuntman
Staff member
It's about time!

Confront and Conceal: Obama's Secret Wars and Surprising Use of American Power by David E. Sanger.

Inside the White House Situation Room, the newly elected Barack Obama immerses himself in the details of a remark*able new American capability to launch cyberwar against Iran—and escalates covert operations to delay the day when the mullahs could obtain a nuclear weapon. Over the next three years Obama accelerates drone attacks as an alter*native to putting troops on the ground in Pakistan, and becomes increasingly reliant on the Special Forces, whose hunting of al-Qaeda illuminates the path out of an unwin*nable war in Afghanistan.

Confront and Conceal provides readers with a picture of an administration that came to office with the world on fire. It takes them into the Situation Room debate over how to undermine Iran’s program while simultaneously trying to prevent Israel from taking military action that could plunge the region into another war. It dissects how the bin Laden raid worsened the dysfunctional relationship with Pakistan. And it traces how Obama’s early idealism about fighting “a war of necessity” in Afghanistan quickly turned to fatigue and frustration.

One of the most trusted and acclaimed national security correspondents in the country, David Sanger of the New York Times takes readers deep inside the Obama adminis*tration’s most perilous decisions: The president dispatch*es an emergency search team to the Gulf when the White House briefly fears the Taliban may have obtained the Bomb, but he rejects a plan in late 2011 to send in Special Forces to recover a stealth drone that went down in Iran. Obama overrules his advisers and takes the riskiest path in killing Osama bin Laden, and ignores their advice when he helps oust Hosni Mubarak from the presidency of Egypt.

OK, so it's not completely about Stuxnet but the rest of the book sounds good too, so....

Boom.

Ordered.

As soon as I get this book into my grubby little hands, I'm reading it.

FWIW, I found out about the book from this transcript of a podcast from IEEE Spectrum about Stuxnet. In this transcript their guest says that some of the things in David Sanger’s book about Stuxnet are not possible.

Did journalist David Sanger discover the true story behind Stuxnet, or was he caught in a deeper web of deception?

Excerpt:

Steven Cherry: In his book, Sanger describes in some detail how the Stuxnet worm escaped into the wild. What is Sanger’s account, and what’s wrong with it?

Larry Constantine:
Well, the issue to me—why this, I think, is important—is whether journalists who are reporting important political stories to the public have a responsibility to get pivotal technical details right. And there are a number of things about Sanger’s account which are just not possible. So there are a number of possibilities here. One is that Sanger somehow, despite the fact that he’s a good journalist, didn’t do all the necessary background research. Another possibility is that he was deliberately misled by his sources. A third possibility might even be that he actually knew the account that he was sharing was not valid but had been requested or directed to do that since he was dealing with high-level personnel in the current administration. So, what did he get wrong? First of all, the Stuxnet worm did not escape into the wild. The analysis of initial infections and propagations by Symantec show that, in fact, that it never was widespread, that it affected computers in closely connected clusters, all of which involved collaborators or companies that had dealings with each other. Secondly, it couldn’t have escaped over the Internet, as Sanger’s account maintains, because it never had that capability built into it: It can only propagate over [a] local-area network, over removable media such as CDs, DVDs, or USB thumb drives. So it was never capable of spreading widely, and in fact the sequence of infections is always connected by a close chain. Another thing that Sanger got wrong that he reported in slightly different words in his original New York Times article earlier this year and in the book was the notion that the worm escaped when an engineer connected his computer to the PLCs that were controlling the centrifuges and his computer became infected, which then later spread over the Internet. This is also patently impossible because the software that was resident on the PLCs is the payload that directly deals with the centrifuge motors; it does not have the capability of infecting a computer because it doesn’t have any copy of the rest of the Stuxnet system, so that part of the story is simply impossible. In addition, the explanation offered in his book and in his article is that Stuxnet escaped because of an error in the code, with the Americans claiming it was the Israelis’ fault that suddenly allowed it to get onto the Internet because it no longer recognized its environment. Anybody who works in the field knows that this doesn’t quite make sense, but in fact the last version, the last revision to Stuxnet, according to Symantec, had been in March, and it wasn’t discovered until June 17. And in fact the mode of discovery had nothing to do with its being widespread in the wild because in fact it was discovered inside computers in Iran that were being supported by a Belarus antivirus company called VirusBlokAda. So there are a number of aspects of Sanger’s story that on technical grounds simply cannot be correct, and to me this is a significant issue, not just an obscure technical matter, because it raises broad questions about the nature of the so-called leaks from administration personnel to Sanger about the quality and reliability of his reporting. If he got these aspects wrong—and these are the ones that I was able to check through public sources and my knowledge of industrial control systems—then the question is, what else did he get wrong? And interestingly enough, none of the mainstream media seems to be interested in this story, which is why I’m talking with you.

what else did he get wrong? And interestingly enough, none of the mainstream media seems to be interested in this story, which is why I’m talking with you.

Always an axe to grind, a pot to stir. :sad:

No doubt an interesting topic, and I can't say I have more important things to do. But I do have happier things to do than follow Capitol infighting. So I'll get to it some other time.

Thanks for the heads up, though.
:flowers:

Back