• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Format convertor

Falanga

Hello all,

Me and my company are looking after creating an online forum and a eBook format converter. Some departments are doing some research on the legal aspect and i am doing research on the practical aspect.

What would you say about a social network where you could convert eBook formats from Kindle to Sony's or other publishers' formats?

I would say it's most likely illegal since Amazon's Kindle books are copy-protected.

I am talking about converting not copying. But actually it's the same though. But again it's illegal for Amazon to delete your purchased books from the Kindle. Let's say you like the Sony eReader more than the Kindle. You payed for the book to Amazon but you can't read it on the Sony. You are owner of the book but it's unusable... Would you like to have a converter which will solve the problem?

If I had been dumb enough to buy a Kindle, I probably would. But breaking the DRM will get you into legal trouble even if you own the book. You legally own the book, you legally own the device, but cracking the book so you can read it on the device violates your user agreement. I agree that it's very silly, but them's the breaks, and you're not the first person to try. See here for instance:

Brave New World: Fortress Amazon Breached?

Ok, i have some updated info. It's not actually breaching the DRM. We might decide to create a web portal. We should actually stand in between Amazon (and others) and you (the consumers). For example you have an account at Amazon right? You purchase the book but it stands on our servers. Then if you have Sony Reader (or any other) you log into your account, it makes it inaccessible on your Kindle and transfers it converted to your Sony and you pay a small amount for that.

So actually it's like you own the Reader and the book, but you read the book only on single device. You would also get headlines, music etc. But that is only if Amazon or Sony or others sign up for that.

What do you think? I would like to hear some more opinions...

Back