• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Frank Herbert: Dune

Strider

Dune, Dune Trilogy

Hello all,

I'm new here so be gentle with me, I didn't bring any lube.

I've just finished the first Dune Trilogy and I'm hungry for some Sci-Fi of the same ilk.
Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks for the replies

Welcome, Strider.

Have you tried the other Dune-related books? -eg. House Atreides, House Harkonnen.

Perhaps you could be more specific about what you're looking for. i.e. What aspect of the Dune Trilogy did you like? - the mythic/religious nature, the epic battles, the political intrigue of the family "houses"?

Originally posted by Ell
Welcome, Strider.

Have you tried the other Dune-related books? -eg. House Atreides, House Harkonnen.

No, mainly on the hear-say of friends who also have a love of the Dune Trilogy. The didn't speak highly of it, combined with the fact they're not actually written by Frank Herbert, seriously puts me off.

Perhaps you could be more specific about what you're looking for. i.e. What aspect of the Dune Trilogy did you like? - the mythic/religious nature, the epic battles, the political intrigue of the family "houses"?

I liked the politics, the characterisation. I loved the theme, the future-tense.

For an older classic, you might try the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov. It's one of my long-time favourites. Lots of political intrigue. Considered slow-moving by some, but I like the way Asimov develops his universe and eventually brings everything together.

His Robot books are also good.

I'm sure others have more suggestions for you. Take a look at the thread about favourites in the Sci-fi section. You can find it here:

http://www.thebookforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=483

Originally posted by Ell
For an older classic, you might try the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov. It's one of my long-time favourites. Lots of political intrigue. Considered slow-moving by some, but I like the way Asimov develops his universe and eventually brings everything together.

His Robot books are also good.

I'm sure others have more suggestions for you. Take a look at the thread about favourites in the Sci-fi section. You can find it here:

http://www.thebookforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=483

Thanks for the link.

For now I'm going to read the second Dune Trilogy. Then, I may try an Asimov book, which I was thinking of trying anyway, strangly...

No lube required

The Lord of the Rings comes to mind if you like epic battles. Um, try Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card too. I recently read The Legend that Was Earth by James P. Hogan and that was pretty good--lots of political intrigue in there. Our book of the month is The Forge of God, by Greg Bear and that one will make your hair stand on end.

I see you like Heinlein...I do to but he's been a hard act to follow. Good thing he wrote a lot of books.

Hi all,

New here as well ...

Glad I am not the only crazy lonely who went to SF through Herbert.
Alike:
the following volumes by his son on the Houses Atreides, Corrino and Harkonnen, sorry wrong order - slighty loss of the mystic epic of Dune though, and a lot too much politics of the Sisterhood
and the very latest 'Legends of Dune' (just out in hard back) - cannot wait to have more time for the story of the Butlerian Jihad
By F. Herbert as well: the Whipping star pair
By other:
Dragons of Pern by McCaffrey, though after 5 volumes of them I seriously get bored with it.

You could try the Amtrak Wars by Patrick Tilley. They are set in a future after a nuclear holocaust. Three tribes compete, the primitives who live off the land, the technology oriented group and the last group works like a medieval Japanese society. There are 6 books but well worth the read.

I bought it today, so I'm hoping to get started on it some time tomorrow. Anyone else reading?

I've read it.

I think it's brilliant, especially the Bene Gesserit training. In fact, Paul Atreides is one of my favourite heroes after Harry Potter.

I've read Dune and Dune Messiah lately. Now I'm reading Children of Dune. Does the thread Dune include all six parts, or only the first one?

I'm still reading, but it's going ever so slow. I don't know whether that's the book's fault or mine, but... I don't know; maybe it'd go faster if I read it in Dutch, cause as it is... I won't have finished it until 2033.

I know my mums got a copy somewhere - i'll see if i can ferret it out and give it a read on holiday :)

Off-Topic: Can we post in any of the threads in this section, even if the book isnt Book of the Month anymore??

I'm in a similar situation as you, lies. I got stuck somewhere in the beginning of the Children of Dune and I don't feel like going on. I don't know why. Maybe it's because I don't like any of the characters?

I don't connect with the characters either... at least not yet. But since someone said Paul was one of his favourite characters, maybe I ought to give it another shot. So next week, I'm gonna go for it.

This is one book I've started 3 times but haven't been able to get past the first couple of chapters.

Something about it just doesn't keep me interested.

OUCH!!!

All of your replies are quite negative.

I think part of the problem is Herbert's prose (which could pose even more of a problem if English isn't your first language).

Also, it suffers from the same fate as LOTR and most Ursula K. Leguin stuff. All of the made up names for people and places can be off-putting. Someone wrote that one of the common pitfalls of writing science fiction was "Calling a rabbit a smeerp."

Although, Tolkien, Leguin and Herbert are good at calling rabbits 'smeerps,' sometimes it bothers those who aren't as turned on by fantastic linguistics.

Dune isn't a showpiece of great writing, but it's chock-full of interesting ideas and cool sci fi invention.

It was hard to get into, but once I got into the rythm of the book I read it in a few days. In fact, I just finished it at the beach last Saturday.

I don't know how far everyone is, and I don't want to spoil anything for those who like surprises, so I'll keep things general...

Do you see Dune as a metaphor for politics in the Middle East?

If so, what parallels can you draw? [paralells? kind of like the name of that Harry Nilsson album, Nillssonn, [or something like that]

phil_t asked
Off-Topic: Can we post in any of the threads in this section, even if the book isnt Book of the Month anymore??
By all means, post away! It's difficult for everyone to finish the designated book at the same time. Also, we are constantly getting new members and it gives them a chance to contribute to the various threads.

Back