• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

"Freaks"

Those were real, true Circus Sideshow freaks, not actors. This was a very controversial film at the time. The rock band The Ramones were heavily influenced by this movie and utilized several lines and themes in many of their songs.

Freaks is one-of-a-kind! It was made in 1932, when talking pictures were still very young, and most of the cast had thick accents and were not actors by trade. This accounts for the 'poor' acting, I think.

What most people miss about this film is that the "freaks" are presented as the good guys, and the director Tod Browning presented them respectably as loyal and compassionate people! (Browning worked in a traveling carnival as a teen---he also directed Bela Lugosi in "Dracula"-an awesome film!! :cool: )

The film was banned in Britain for over 30 years, and was recalled right away in the States to make a much butchered edited version-Yuk! :mad: Luckily I have the unedited copy.

Sorry to hear you didn't like it, Geenh! :confused:

It wasn't that I didn't like it, the acting was awful! I liked the premis and it took about two days to get the chant "One of us, one of us, we accept her", etc. out of my head!

The accents were quite wonderful, I thought.

I wonder whether I watched the edited version or not... it was shown on Movie Classics on cable.

Back