• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Free speech even for spammers?

ok maybe i overreacted.....but whats even funnier is i cant access my own post wherever its been moved. I even created another account. This site is funny and so are the admins. Thx for the support....

well i click that and it leads me to a information box that states i do not have permissions to view that page or an admin banned me basically. Thats the reason I created a new account and I still get nowhere.

You haven't been banned, if you had, you would not be able to post at all.

Your thread was moved as it contained material that you were looking to, or already have, published. This forum has a policy to keep all self promoting activities into one forum.
However, in your case, the thread was moved to the so-called Writers or Self-Promo forum which is only accessible to members with more than ten posts. Thus, creating a second account will not help you here.

Eight more posts Darie and then you can access your post.

Make them good ones. With paragraphs and stuff.

Has anybody had any problem with SF Chronicles? In my opinion, it is not a very friendly place for novices or aspiring authors. In fact, I think that the mod is down right mean. It seems that the only thing the site is interested in is making money -- not the promotion of literature, especially not recent or new literature. Is such a practice ethical?

I have no idea what website you're talking about.
I can tell you, however, that this website is not a place to promote any books, new or old, it is simply one to discuss books that the members of the forum have read.

To the OP: free speech doesn't mean what you think it means. This is a privately owned forum. You follow the rules or face consequences. People that join just to promote their works are frowned upon.

Thanks for the information. It is a shame, though, that there are so few places for readers to consider new works.

That is where kindle can come in handy, even if the prestige is currently somewhat low. But, nevertheless, it is a possibility that may grow for the future (some of us hope). Welcome!

I think he believes that without having authors and/or publishing companies promote their newly published material on a forum such as this one, us poor readers with no access to the rest of the Interwebz or decent book stores, will never have the chance to read new books.

I think he believes that without having authors and/or publishing companies promote their newly published material on a forum such as this one, us poor readers with no access to the rest of the Interwebz or decent book stores, will never have the chance to read new books.

I think there is much much more written material than even us avid readers and book shoppers will ever see through the conventional outlets you mention. I think that writing (including wannabes) is absolutely the most overpopulated profession in the world. Everyone, but everyone, wants to do it as far as I can tell, and the quality ranges from you-know-where all the way up to excellent and published, where we finally see the very small number that make the grade.

(I don't even count as a wannabe, and even I have two partially finished manuscripts. :cool: )

I think there is much much more written material than even us avid readers and book shoppers will ever see through the conventional outlets you mention.

Be that as it may, that doesn't mean that Book & Reader ought to change into a place for authors to try and promote their books.

Masterpieces under Mattresses

I believe that the publishing industry is one of the last to succomb to profit as an exclusive motive to exist. Rarity from the Hollow is on Kindle. The biggest problem with Kindle is that it now allows self-published works. Anybody that wants to pay the money can publish anything on Kindle. At least my novel has been professionally edited twice (for free) before being placed on Kindle and available from other brick and mortar and online publishers.

Consequently, a reader can't wade through all of the material and can't trust any of it without further research, such as research on Google -- likely light for the newest of the brilliant.

Computers harmed literature. There was a time that manuscripts were handwritten, demontstrating determination and commitment. Then manual typewriters, electric typewriters, and now garbage can be published in an hour.

Consider the correlated behavior of publishers. Today, the only books you will find out about are those by authors previously published with good sales records, those written by authors with connections, or those written about current world events, including celebrities, and by or about themselves or the event.

The same is true in film. It costs so much money to make a movie that we pay to see one more batman, spiderman, etc.

I'm not an artist, craftsman, or designer. But, it appears to be the same thing happening in those venues -- it it's not a name brand it is worthless.

The very best of the art now being produced in our and our future centuries will be found after the artist dies and tossed out unread with the rest of the garbage.

The biggest problem with Kindle is that it now allows self-published works. Anybody that wants to pay the money can publish anything on Kindle.

I think the situation you describe is quite possibly a transient one, until the publishing industry sorts itself out and readers come to be more knowledgable about what they are looking for and how and where to find it. If trash sells, then there may be a new niche establishing itself on kindle for trash, and market forces will sort that out one way or another. But I don't think published literature was ever exclusively "good" literature, so I'm not convinced that the computer is destroying literature, even if we think a lot of trash is now appearing. People are apparently willing to pay for an infamous 50 shades trilogy in record numbers, no matter what we more literary-minded people think. And I find it very hard to say that publishers should ignore that.

I think it will be a mixed bag for a while; if you are twice-edited and now published, then more power to you.

Just my random thoughts on the current scene.

Good luck with your book.

It will take more than luck

At this time, the forces that stifle new literature are so powerful that, at 61, I don't expect to see the sunrise of a "brave new world."

Back