• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Funny books

Lint

Hi,
I am stressed out at the moment and am looking for some funny books to give a little comic relief. Since humor is such a personal and variable thing, I guess I should be specific about what I find funny.
I am amused by The Onion, by somewhat dark, satiric writing, but not too dark. The funniest book I can remember reading in my adult life is "A Confederacy of Dunces" by (I think) John Kennedy O'Toole. I also am susceptable to Dilbert and Far Side kind of humor (ie on the geeky side)
Coarse, I've read most of anything from the stuff I've mentioned. I am just trying to give a sence of the flavor of what gets me laughing.

Readers Digest type "funny moments" and cute things kids say and pictures of kittens in teacups with big eyes are really not appealing to me.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

How about Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. Actually, anything by David Sedaris would be good.

I'll give them a try!

I'm heading off to the library today, will pick up something from both David Macauley and David Sedaris. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I suggest Shakespeare My Butt! by John Donoghue

I've just finished reading it and can't begin to tell you how much I laughed. It's fantastic in my opinion......should be given to every stressed person. :)

You can check it out on the amazon site to see if it's your cup of tea, as the first chapter is available to read in the 'search the book' facility.

Papaver x

Terry Pratchett's books...especially the Night Watch related books.

We seem to have a similar taste in comics - I suggest checking out Non Sequitur - I never fail to laugh at these.

How about Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. Actually, anything by David Sedaris would be good.

That was a great book. I laughed out loud numerous times while reading it. Never thought a book could have me chuckling the way that one did.

I know you've already gone to the store, But I'm hopping in here anyway.
I recommend anything by Christopher Moore("Lamb", "Practical Demonkeeping" or one of Laurie Notaro's essay books ("Idiot girl's action-adventure club", "We thought you would be prettier"). Also try "Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

I suggest Hopes and Dreams: Stuck on AutoDrive by Eric Davis.

It's funny and odd and positive in an Onion sort-of-way. It can be Far Side-like, but it's not Dilbert-like. It is long! It's 592 pages.

Thanks all you guys for your posts! I was able to get thru my stress fest, It's always good to have am ample supply of therapy on hand for future . The last link was a goldmine.

Back