• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fyodor Dostoevsky

ecks

I just finished reading Notes From the Underground as well as Crime and Punishment. I really liked both of them. I want to ask everyone sincerely, what books did you enjoy most by him besides the well-known, like Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Kazamarov. The reason I'm asking is, I'm not sure what book I should start with next.

The Brothers Karamazov, I would say is a must read for everyone. However, if you specifically like Dostoyevsky, Raskalnikov is probably my favorite character in all of literature, so I would also highly recommend Crime and Punishment. I would recommend both of these first, and then The Idiot or The Gambler. In any case, you can't go wrong if you like Dostoyevsky. :)

I just realized that you said you read Crime and Punishment, so I'd definatley go with The Brothers Karamazov. I really liked The Gambler as well, which was actually written while he was in the middle of The Brothers Karamazov and seems very personal, reflecting a good deal about Dostoyevsky's problems with gambling.

Well I got halfway through The Brothers Karamazov but had to stop - simply because I felt the text was going over my head. I felt I did not understand the points Dostoyevsky was trying to put across - especially the oldest brother (I forget his name). I found that when the author was concentrating on the story instead of the metaphors he was compelling. Such a wordsmith I had not previously encountered; his writing was beautiful.

However the tangents were so long and confusing that despite his intricate portrayal of society and unrivalled character development I felt bogged down with the weight of the text.

I read perhaps the first 50 pages of Crime And Punishment however after failing to get through Karamazov my mind was not bent on finishing this text and sadly it also fell by the wayside.

In the end by desire to read some of the Russian great won through.....

.... and I bought a book of short stories by Chekhov. ;)

SillyWabbit said:
Is that the one where he was inspecting the captains log? :eek:

Its the one where he did a supernova on Urhura's face.

Actually the Chekhov I'm talking about was a Russian author believe it or not.

ecks said:
I just finished reading Notes From the Underground as well as Crime and Punishment. I really liked both of them. I want to ask everyone sincerely, what books did you enjoy most by him besides the well-known, like Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Kazamarov. The reason I'm asking is, I'm not sure what book I should start with next.

The Idiot was not that difficult to get through, at least for me. and the movie version was really good.

ermm. someone on another forum suggested that The Crime and Punishment should go better if you stick till about 100pages or so.

Have bought The Brothers Karamazov years ago, but haven't read it yet. so, have no right to say about that one.

Goodluck,

Well, since I'm starting to like Dostoevsky so much, I figured I'll read all of his books that are currently in my library. I'm saving The Brothers Kazamarov for last, though. So far, Poor People was pretty good, but I didn't like The Gambler that much. Poor People has similar themes as C&P does.

I am starting to get to know Dostejevsky as well. Right now I am reading "the double" and have "the idiot". If this discussion is still on or can be open again, I shall join you

I'm reading the idiot right now, haven't read the double. If you've read C&P, Notes from the Underground, and The Possesed, The Idiot should be really intersesting because it presents the other extreme spectrum of Dostoevsky's philosophy. My opinion, and I'd like to know what others think about this, is that Dostoevsky's philosophy deals with the struggle of thinking nihilistically versus trying to be too perfect.

The Idiot is one of my favourite books and Dostoyevsky is one of my favourite authors. I've only read the big three though. Crime and Punishment was a great story as was The Brothers Karamazov although at times it was hardgoing it's worth the effort.

Though an obvious choice one of my favourite parts is when Jesus meets the High Inquisitor in `Brothers'. The whole story just shows us what is wrong with the human race if you're religious or not.

As my buying habits tend to depend on what I can pick up at the local charity shops I'll be sure to buy any other book I see by him.

ecks said:
My opinion, and I'd like to know what others think about this, is that Dostoevsky's philosophy deals with the struggle of thinking nihilistically versus trying to be too perfect.

I can only base my oppion on what I have read so far. And I still reading "the double" and find it excellent!

I dont find the book to be philsofical but more psychological. But I do recognise this about being perfect. I would say that The double is more about a man who does not acknowledge himself and wants the acceptance from others. Fear from not getting the acceptance drives him to want and do things which he thinks is perfect and therefore should give the acceptance he wants, but as he does not understand that he has to accept himself first, then he developes a double. I am in the book, where the double has just arrived. So I am excited to see how and whats going to happen! :D

I see the development of a double as a bit like what is called a false self in modern terms. But I am not totally sure yet. I have to see how the story goes.

Ecks, could you please explain more about what it is you understand? What do you mean by "thinking nihilistically"?

Puddleglum said:
As my buying habits tend to depend on what I can pick up at the local charity shops I'll be sure to buy any other book I see by him.

I have found a Dostejevsky book at one of those bookshop where they sell old and used books. They have made a site where you can place a order, so I have place one for "the possessed". Maybe it would be a great idea for you to go hunting and find a great book for almost nothing.

Flowerdk4 said:
I have found a Dostejevsky book at one of those bookshop where they sell old and used books. They have made a site where you can place a order, so I have place one for "the possessed". Maybe it would be a great idea for you to go hunting and find a great book for almost nothing.

Good idea. Although I just went and treated myself to The Double at the full price of £6.99

Puddleglum said:
Good idea. Although I just went and treated myself to The Double at the full price of £6.99

Great! :)
I cannot wait to hear what you think about the story! Its always nice when someone else reads the same book.
I shall read "the idiot" afterwards.

Well, I am speaking from my own experience, and relating Dostoevsky's works with my own life, and I probably shouldn't have said "thinking nihilistically" but rather losing hope. For instance, if you have read C&P, Raskolnikov does the murder in order to achieve something great, something above himself, something that will raise him above his current position. However, after he commits the crime, he realizes that what he did was for nothing, that everything is in fact the way it was before. That is what I mean by being nihilistic, that feeling that whatever you do, in the end it doesn't matter, in the end nothing changes. In C&P, Raskolnikov found hope in God and love. Notes From the Underground, in my opinion, presents what would happen if a person cannot find hope and solace in anything. The Undergound Man has lost all hope. It would be a continuation of C&P if he did not find love or God. Our hope, of course, is to be perfect, to always do everything right. However, the Idiot portrays what happens when you become too perfect. It is like a continuation of C&P if Raskolnikov does become perfect in every way. I hope I can be understood, but if not, I'll try to explain even more. I don't know, I hope I don't sound too crazy.

Back