• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Gaston Leroux

liv

I just started reading Phantom of the Opera today (even though I have been meaning to for so long), and I just wanted to know what else he has written and what you think of his works. Do you think there really was a phantom, like he suggests in the prolouge, or was he just trying to make his story more believable?

I am only on chapter three, but his writing is very clear and he makes the Phantom very intriguing from the beginning. So far I think he's a great writer. I figured something that sparked such an amazing Broadway play has to be worth reading.

Phantom of the Opera reads like an adventure story, Wabbit, so you'll probably like it.

Old buildings are often rumored to have ghosts. I'm sure the opera house has lots of legends, it's an old and grand place.

I recently reread POTO and I am amazed at how much more I love the story since the last time I read it (which was many years ago). Not that I didn't like it the first time through, but I just love it so much more now. Leroux's prose is very easy to follow and the story is just wonderful to get lost in. After I finished it I wanted to read it again! ;)

I just started reading Phantom of the Opera today (even though I have been meaning to for so long), and I just wanted to know what else he has written and what you think of his works. Do you think there really was a phantom, like he suggests in the prolouge, or was he just trying to make his story more believable?

I did not read it but a saw a musical (by Andrew Lloyd Webber, based on the novel by Gaston Leroux. ) It was 7 years ago in Broadway <-- showing off :p

I'm a big fan of the Phantom of the Opera. It's even more dark and disturbing than the musical/recent movie/old-school movie. I was a huge fan of the musical, but it left so many things unexplained. After reading the novel, I felt much more satisfied with the musical also. There are other versions of the story written from the perspective of Christine or the Phantom. Can't remember the names, but they were ok.

I know Leroux wrote other books. I read a couple of his mystery books. Just kind of basic detective stuff. I don't remember anything making much of an impression, but I wasn't too into detective stuff at that point.

There is a sequel call the Phantom of Manhattan by Frederic Forsyth,i read it because i love phantom of the opera and was curious.
You can avoid it.

I plan on re-reading POTO as soon as I whittle down my bedside stack of unread books. I read it once a few years ago, and I finished it in a day. Because I was either that hooked, or that bored, so I'd like to go back and make sure I didn't miss anything. My impression of the first reading? Loved it.

Back