• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

GD Running In The Boston Marathon

muggle

OK, this is what grandparents are for, to talk about their grandkids.:)

My granddaughter is running in the Boston Marathon on Monday. She is excited, I am excited, we all are excited. I hope she is able to finish the 26.2 mile race. She is confident that she will finish and do well.

For the first time all entrants have a "scanning tag" on their shirt so they can be found if unable to finish the race. All first aid stations will have the ability to scan a person and then log in the location in a computer. There will be over 22,000 people from all over the world running in the Marathon.

Wish her luck.

Wish her Good Luck from me, Muggle. :) Anyone who can run (or even walk) 26 miles has my admiration!

A friend of mine ran Boston, with the flu. Tell her to enjoy it no matter what. It's such a grueling sport, no matter how good she is, there's no guarantee she'll be able to do it again.

Muggle, congrats on your GD's accomplishment to make it to the Boston Marathon!:) My brother tried to qualify for the Boston last year at the Columbus Marathon and pulled a hammy half way through...he was able to complete the race, but time was 03:57, to qualify for the Boston he needed at least 03:10.

He is running three this year to try to qualify, and he has talked me into running in the Columbus marathon this October, it will be my first and I am really excited about it!

Good luck to your grand daughter in Boston!

Justin

Good luck with your granddaughter, Muggle!

I think its so cool no matter what time she will finish, and this is coming from a runner.

Flower

Justin91 said:
Muggle, congrats on your GD's accomplishment to make it to the Boston Marathon!:) My brother tried to qualify for the Boston last year at the Columbus Marathon and pulled a hammy half way through...he was able to complete the race, but time was 03:57, to qualify for the Boston he needed at least 03:10.

He is running three this year to try to qualify, and he has talked me into running in the Columbus marathon this October, it will be my first and I am really excited about it!

Good luck to your grand daughter in Boston!

Justin
Thanks everyone for your well wishes.

As Justin states, it is an accomplishment to even qualify for the Boston Marathon. I believe the women in my GD's age group (18 - 34) need to have a previous time in a Marathon of 03:40. GD recently ran a half marathon in Washington, DC and came in a close second with a time of 1:36:41. The winner of that race had a time of 1:36:33. The Boston is a grueling race and I hope she is able to finish without any mishap.

Justin, best wishes in the Columbia marathon in October.

2006 Boston Marathon - 26.2 miles (Kenyans won both male & female competition)

GD's time for 26.2 miles: 3:24:07

GD finished: 527 out of 8849 total female runners (top 6%)

GD finished: 4598 out of 22517 total combined male and female runners (top 20%)

WooHoo!!!!!!!

muggle said:
2006 Boston Marathon - 26.2 miles (Kenyans won both male & female competition)

GD's time for 26.2 miles: 3:24:07

GD finished: 527 out of 8849 total female runners (top 6%)

GD finished: 4598 out of 22517 total combined male and female runners (top 20%)

WooHoo!!!!!!!

Oh wow! That's really great, Muggle. Congrats to her!
Of course the Kenyans won...

I got all emotional when I seen her times at each stage of the race and couldn't believe it. Wowser!!!!!!

Wow Muggle, that is fantastic! I've always wanted to work one of the medical tents at the marathon, but I've never gotten around to it. I have a friend who ran last year and today, I've yet to hear from her on her time today though.

Great news Muggle. Big Congratulations to your grand-daughter. You'll both be very proud of her :)

Thanks all. I am really proud of her times. She ran a very consistent race when I seen her times at each 5K of the race. There were 94 different Countries participating. The Kenyans are simply amazing.

Doug Johnson said:
That's an excellent time. What other running has she done?
She mostly just runs for the fun of it. Her last official race was the Laws Half Marathon in Washington, DC where she finished 2nd in the women's bracket with a time of 1:36:41 and was just 7 tenths of a second behind the winner.

many of the runners in the Boston Marathon run professionally and have their own trainers.

A little description of the race by GD:

I felt really good running 7:15 per mile pace the first half, until around 19 mile mark when we started going up hills, and after that about mile 21 my knee felt funny and my legs started cramping up really bad.

I was dehydrated. my legs felt like someone dropped a bunch of bricks on my thighs. however, i kept on pushing through, i walked through a couple water stops to drink the water and gatorade to try to rehydrate and get the cramps out of my legs. it didn't help much, but known the less i made it the last 5 miles to the finish line . Boy, i was so glad to see the finish:)!! i was
tired, dizzy, delusional, and happy all at the same time, when i
finished:)! my legs are still sore today.

Back