• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Gillian Flynn: Sharp Objects

SevenWritez

I'd like to make a reader's confession: I have been incapable of enjoying anything for the last month. I began Salem's Lot by Stephen King, made it to page 378 and tossed it. I made it to page 800 in It and tossed it. I began The Haunting of Hill House, tossed that as well. A countless number of books I have been picking up, reaching the halfway point (or the four fifths point), and tossing them. Why? I don't know--but I've noticed a lot of the stories I've been trying seem to lose their magic after that initial sparkle.

Anyways, I'm at Borders the other day, escaping my house to find a decently secluded area to write in (some mother fuckers were doing construction outside my window and it was like trying to have sex while your ex is standing outside the door; you just can't enjoy the shit), and after my perennial bout of Writer's Block sets in, I get up to walk around. On the "HOT NEW AUTHORS N' SHIT!" shelf I scan around a bit and notice a conspiciously ink-black hardcover sitting all by its little lonesome in the corner, not receiving any love when juxtaposed with, say, "Here If You Need Me," a book sporting some old woman holding a cup on the cover. Looks stupid. I decide I hate the old woman and pick up the emo-titled corner novel, "Sharp Objects."

Fast forward two days. I've finally made it to the end of a book. I'm not one to nit pick a little bit o' dis wit' a little bit o' dat, but I liked this debut novel enough to want to make a small post regarding it.

The story revolves around...(I'm lazy): http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-Objects...8945544?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193346397&sr=8-1

Should be in there somewhere.

Anyways, my quick two cents: The characters are easily cliche, but when under the control of Flynn's (Tidbit: Flynn is hot, check her out) sparse yet luminous prose, you don't care, and one of the nice rareities I saw in this story is that the further I dove in, the deeper the characters (ok, so character; aside from the lead role, everyone else is mainly there for A. being a female character to chat with and gain information from, or B. being a male character to chat with and gain information from, along with providing a few pages of sex) became. Not that they ever reached a state of memorability, but unlike many novels where you finally get the gist of who the character is when halfway through, secrets and scenes still come a plenty towards the ending climax of this story.

It's nothing that will make you scream at the top of your lungs, "LITER-AR-EE GEEEEENIUS!" but it is something that you will enjoy, blow through quickly, and then turn the final page feelign satisifed.

Sharp Objects, Gillian Flynn, debut novel. Check it out.

And for anyone who missed it (doubt it, but hey): http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-Objects...8945544?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1193346397&sr=8-1

More reviews there.

I liked this one, I liked the bitter but not quite tragic ending.
I also really liked who the 'bad guy' turned out to be because
there's nothing scarier, realy, than an evil child, IMHO.. and the TEETH in the dollhouse!!! ick and shudder and yay for creepy ideas!!

It could have been the narrator that helped me like this book (Marie Lee), I actually checked this one out from the library's overdrive site because of the narrator, not the summary.

But I will admit, as I read faster than I listen, I had to get the hard copy and finish it up quickly because I couldn't stand it anymore.

Back