• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Glenn Gould

Libre

I may be in the minority here, but my favorite music is '40s music. Uhh - 1740's, that is. J.S. Bach is my favorite composer of music of all time. Then, Beethoven, Mozart, Hyden, Handel. I wouldn't know Morrisey if I tripped over him (sorry, Halo). Not that I don't enjoy some popular music - The Beatles, James Taylor, Ray Charles, Frank Sinatra - these guys are all great talents. But my favorite recording artist of ALL TIME is Glenn Gould - the late, great, Canadian Pianist. After him it's Andres Segovia - the late, great, Spanish guitarist.
If I hear Gould playing anything by Bach, my thought processes are immediately arrested - it's no use trying to converse with me because I won't hear you. What a wonder. Marvelous. Not all us "classical squares" are so enamored of Glenn Gould I should point out. His style is unique, instantly recognizable, and for some, kind of grating. His tendency to be heard softly humming in his recordings can also turn some people off. Not me. He had the reputation of articulating every single note. His ability to play counterpoint with incredible clarity is legendary. You really must hear him. The Goldberg Variations (1955 edition- his debut recording) is an excellent place to start.

Back