• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Goodreads acquired by Amazon

Something so huge boggles my mind. $1B absolutely staggers me.
But they sure have bought a collection of ardent book readers like no other I can think of.

That is a huge sum isn't it? I knew Goodreads had a big following but I had no idea it would be even close to worth that much.

I love the irony of the brouhaha of last year GR had with Amazon, and now becoming part of the "Amazon family". :rolleyes:

I doubt GR will change that much. Amazon bought it basically for what it is.....an advertising venue. There are already adverts there, they'll simply morph into more Amazon friendly adverts.

There are threads over on GR that are crying, the sky is falling! Sheesh.

Am jus wondering if this buy is fair to independent authors as well as to book critics & reviewers.

Goodread overtook amazon in offering non-bias review from readers. The question is: will the quality remains on goodread

Wow, I had no clue this happened. o_O It will be interesting to see how quotesandbooks's question regarding reviews pans out.

Doesn't sound like a good thing to me at all. For a start Kindle isn't the only e-reader out there so why must everything be linked to it and only to it? Monopoly of any kind is bad for consumers.

As mentioned above, I like that Goodreads has brought me new authors, some independently published and I would fear that less of that would happen now. Reading this article it says that it is unclear if changes would be made but seemed to lean towards the possibility and that is my biggest fear.

I also don't like this new thing of feeling watched all the time by stores and marketing, having spent several years in Europe and now being back in the US I am shocked when ever I go shopping and they want me to join their rewards program, they want my phone number and/or zipcode just to buy something, I hate it and it makes me not go back to those stores.

Back