• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan: The Strain

mmyap

I read this book in one sitting. It was a fun way to spend my Labor Day.

Bummer is that book two isn't out yet.

Has anyone else read this book?

I'm almost halfway through this book but I have liked reading it so far. Vampires the way they are meant to be! Book 2 comes out on September 21 so I won't have long to wait to read the next installment.

I've read The Strain, and I must say, it's a very good read! I agree with Fantasy Moon, THIS is how vampires need to be: Vicious, Brutal, and NOT MADE OF GLITTER!

Only 100 pages remaining until I complete this. I like how the authors portray vampirism as a disease and show just how the "virus" takes over the host, causing the mutations that develop the stinger under the tongue as opposed to the classic fangs.

Professor Setrakian would most likely be my favorite character. How can you not like the old professor who makes it his mission in life to destroy this plague on humanity? ;)

Justin Cronin's The Passage also deals with virus vampires. I believe it's also the first of a trilogy as well.

I wouldn't say its BAD, I just couldn't get very far. It drags the beginning on for about 4 chapters, and that's the farthest I got.

Finished it. Loved it. Miss it. ;)
I really look forward to seeing more of the Ancients. The wait for the final installment after The Fall comes out is going to bite.

Justin Cronin's The Passage also deals with virus vampires. I believe it's also the first of a trilogy as well.

I was wondering about this book. It's getting a lot of hype. I have a 40% off from Borders and thought about buying it but haven't heard much about it. I could get it from the library but seeing that it's 700+ pages, they library will only let you have it for 14 days and I don't know if I'll have enough time to read that many pages. Do you recommend buying it?

The Passage did come in for me at the library, much earlier than expected. But I didn't finish it. After a few chapters my attention was wandering to the other books in my library pile and ones of my own that I was currently reading. Yeah, there was no way that I'd stay on task with a 700 page book, haha! I will plan on going back to it and finish it though. See if it's one of those kinds of books that just takes a while to pick up.

Now that The Strain is out in paperback, I might be tempted to buy it... ;)

I was wondering about this book. It's getting a lot of hype. I have a 40% off from Borders and thought about buying it but haven't heard much about it. I could get it from the library but seeing that it's 700+ pages, they library will only let you have it for 14 days and I don't know if I'll have enough time to read that many pages. Do you recommend buying it?

I really enjoyed it, couldn't put it down almost. It's an epic read certainly, but it was so interesting and I found had so much going on. I've a review of it here.

Okies, my copy just arrived. I shall commence reading this evening, once I've finished reading Day by Day Armageddon.

Really enjoyed this. I was worried it might be taking a li'l while to get going, but it did get into the the swing of things in good and orderly time and from then on was a very enjoyable, quick paced intelligent action and horror thriller.

Book two is currently in transit at the library for my hold on it. I cannot wait!

Will, did you have any character that you particularly enjoyed?

Back