• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hands down I need to know!

AlphaOmegaX said:
I hate to disaggree but I have to. I don't think Tolkien is all that great.

~Josh
Everyone who writes fantasy in one way or another draws from him, or C.S.Lewis. They created the archetypes for the genre. It's very hard not to see them in modern fantasy. So, because of the level on influence I'd say, like or not, a nod of respect is acceptable.

Thaibebop said:
Everyone who writes fantasy in one way or another draws from him, or C.S.Lewis. They created the archetypes for the genre. It's very hard not to see them in modern fantasy. So, because of the level on influence I'd say, like or not, a nod of respect is acceptable.
I'll give him respect. I just don't think his writing is all that great.

~Josh

Thaibebop said:

Everyone, excluding all those who wrote before him, and excluding authors such as Mieville, Vandermeer, Harrison, Moorcock, MacLeod, Joyce, de Lint and many others. Perhaps that's unfair - even Mieville's been influenced, as he wanted to write something completely different to Tolkien because of his dislike of LotR. Tolkien's had an influence, but not an exclusive one (you can't ignore Robert Howard's influence, or Michael Moorcock's or Jack Vance's influence in most of fantasy either). I acknowledge Tolkien was important, but I'm very wary of any claim saying that he's essential to fantasy or that all fantasy is influenced by him - I seriously don't think that Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children is Tolkienesque.

I like Tolkien's writing a little - I certainly don't hate it, but I just think it's hugely overrated. I like Tolkien's writing in the same way I used to like Feist's - a simple, entertaining, unchallenging tale - but with some excellent worldbuilding in as well. IMO Tolkien's no master of fantasy, he's just been very important and influential in its development - whether that influence is positive or negative is debatable.

Brys said:
Everyone, excluding all those who wrote before him, and excluding authors such as Mieville, Vandermeer, Harrison, Moorcock, MacLeod, Joyce, de Lint and many others. Perhaps that's unfair - even Mieville's been influenced, as he wanted to write something completely different to Tolkien because of his dislike of LotR. Tolkien's had an influence, but not an exclusive one (you can't ignore Robert Howard's influence, or Michael Moorcock's or Jack Vance's influence in most of fantasy either). I acknowledge Tolkien was important, but I'm very wary of any claim saying that he's essential to fantasy or that all fantasy is influenced by him - I seriously don't think that Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children is Tolkienesque.

I like Tolkien's writing a little - I certainly don't hate it, but I just think it's hugely overrated. I like Tolkien's writing in the same way I used to like Feist's - a simple, entertaining, unchallenging tale - but with some excellent worldbuilding in as well. IMO Tolkien's no master of fantasy, he's just been very important and influential in its development - whether that influence is positive or negative is debatable.
You should look at copyright dates once in awhile. LOTR was published in the UK in 1955. I don't know all these names that well, but I know they don't come before Tolkien, and I don't know of any fantasy novels (as in for the fantasy genre, not things that could be considered fantasy) that come before his, and you con't count the Bible.

AlphaOmegaX said:

~Josh
I am noting saying you should like. Sorry to make you think that. People should like what they like, end of it right there. As much as I like him I have some problems with his writting style.

Thaibebop said:
You should look at copyright dates once in awhile. LOTR was published in the UK in 1955. I don't know all these names that well, but I know they don't come before Tolkien, and I don't know of any fantasy novels (as in for the fantasy genre, not things that could be considered fantasy) that come before his, and you con't count the Bible.

I think you misunderstood my post - all the names I listed were authors since Tolkien who weren't influenced by him. There were many others before him, but I didn't see the point in listing them, because it was obvious they wouldn't be influenced by him.

A few fantasy authors before Tolkien: Lord Dunsany, ER Eddison, Robert E Howard, William Hope Hodgson, Clark Ashton Smith, William Morris, some of Fritz Leiber's stories and there were plenty of contemporary fantasy authors to Tolkien - CS Lewis, Mervyn Peake, Poul Anderson etc.

Brys said:
I think you misunderstood my post - all the names I listed were authors since Tolkien who weren't influenced by him. There were many others before him, but I didn't see the point in listing them, because it was obvious they wouldn't be influenced by him.
Okay, I did misunderstand you.

A few fantasy authors before Tolkien: Lord Dunsany, ER Eddison, Robert E Howard, William Hope Hodgson, Clark Ashton Smith, William Morris, some of Fritz Leiber's stories and there were plenty of contemporary fantasy authors to Tolkien - CS Lewis, Mervyn Peake, Poul Anderson etc.
Ha, Ha...Okay, I can agree with some of these, I guess, but you are suggesting a wider definition they I was. Land Before Time and Andersons stuff is more sci-fi. Howard ( I love Howard) and while we today consider him fantasy I also viewed him as a plup author.

AlphaOmegaX said:

~Josh

i agree with you there Alpha Omega tolkien gets my respect for what he did dont like reading him

I don't regularly read fantasy, but I like:

China Mieville
Neil Gaiman
Charles de Lint

I also like C.S. Lewis' style of writing, but by what little I've read apart from Narnia, he is a bit too religious for my taste.

whitetrash said:
i agree with you there Alpha Omega tolkien gets my respect for what he did dont like reading him
Indubidably whitetrash. Tolkien recieves tons of respect and many renown him as the "best" but to me he wasn't and isn't all that great.

~Josh

Back