• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hardback or Paperback

Darren

Which do you prefer?

I like hardbacks - last longer and feel great to read. Also look good in the bookcase. Problems is that they are way too expensive when they're first released. Occasionally they are on offer in my local supermarket for a couple of pounds.

I've got loads of paperback lying around, but after a couple of people have read them they start to get worn, and look untidy in the bookcase.

I buy lots of vintage hardbacks for my bookcase. They look and smell wonderful:) ! I prefer paperbacks for actual reading, though. They weigh less and you can bend them and not have to worrry about it.

I'm the Poor Relative on the Board! :) I HAVE to buy paperback due to the number of books that I buy every year. :rolleyes: About once every two years or so I will splurge on a "special one" to keep on the shelves. I'm afraid that the hardbacks are just too darn expensive for my budget.

Chris

I'm afraid that the hardbacks are just too darn expensive for my budget.
I agree. In the UK they're about £16 for a new hardback, and about £5.99 for a paperback. My local supermarket often has some hardbacks going cheap for either £9.99 or sometimes even as low as £3.50. In that case I'll buy the hardback. Only if I really can't wait will I get the new hardback (sometimes they're half price on Amazon).

I prefer hardbacks, but my budget prefers paperbacks. I would choose a hardback from the library over a paperback, if given a choice. If I think it is a "keeper" I'll then buy it.

If I hear about a good series that's been in publication for some time, and I know I'm going to want to read them back to back, I'll buy the paperbacks rather than wait until I can afford the hardbacks (i.e. The Wheel of Time series).

I'm not sure if that answers the question. :rolleyes:

It's been awhile since anyone's posted here, but do you differentiate between mass market paperback and trade paperback? Mass market's are smaller than trade, and are usually priced between $8.99 and $10.99 Cdn. Trade paperbacks are larger, although not generally as large as the Hardbacks. They are soft covered though, like mass markets, but they are generally much nicer paper. They are usually priced between $17.99 and $25.99 Cdn. Then the hardbacks are priced between $36.99 and $42.99 Cdn.

I buy very few actual hardbacks, unless they are remainders. The majority of my purchases are trade paperback.

The majority of my purchases are trade paperback.
In the past few years (maybe 5 or 6), I find myself buying more and more trade paperbacks. Does it seem like more books are published this way now, or is it my imagination?

I only buy hardbacks if they're on sale or used. Otherwise my budget can't handle the $$$$!

BTW, welcome to the forum oloroso!

Occassionally I have to treat myself to a new hardback (Birthdays/Anniversaries, ect) but for the most part not only is it a paperback, but it's a paperback at a charity shop or secondhand bookshop. Charity shops are some of the best places to find great books at great deals, especially Oxfam bookshops!

If I had my choice though, I'd choose a nice new hardback.

KT

Hardbacks are my personal preference, although do prefer to actually read a paperback if travelling because I hate it when my hardbacks get scuffed up.

I'm currently collecting the 'classics' in the Everyman's Library edition, which are beautiful, plain and hardbacked - just what I want in a book. Image of Everyman's Library Edition - although a bit blurred
These really do look nice together on the bookshelf.

Mxx

I've preferred paperback for actual reading. They're easier to travel with. If I think I'll read the book more than two or three times I'll try to get it in hardback. Then it'll last longer.

I hardly ever buy hardbacks, they are too expensive. Sometimes I get bought them as a gift, but in all honesty I do prefer paperbacks. Hardbacks are very heavy and you have to faff around taking the dust jacket off so it doesn't get damaged (that's if you're as fussy as me!)

Lately I have bought some children's novels in hardback, for the simple reason that I have bought them from discount mail-order sellers and they happen to be hardback, but I don't purposely buy them unless I simply CANNOT wait for the paperback!

Yes, I am as fussy. I also take the dust covers off and, if it is an especially nice copy of the book I also wash my hands before reading to make sure I don't grease the pages. I have two Hardy books that are lovely hardback editions with wood graved illustrations and slipcases which I wouldn't dream of carrying around to read and only do so in bed where they will not get scuffed.

Mxx

I buy hardcovers only when they're on sale or used. I tend to buy most of my books at charity shops. On rare occasions I will splurge for a special book to grace my bookshelves. In addition to being easier on my purse, I find paperbacks are more convenient for traveling and lounging.

I prefer paperbacks cos it's easy to carry when I go to work. Again it's more cheaper to buy. Most of the shop they sell 3 for 2 paperback books which they don't sell hardback books.
I always read hardbooks in holiday and buy it in charity shop which are cheaper.

Paperbacks - Hardbacks do last longer but they are too cumbersome for my liking so i only get hardbacks if i REALLY want to read the book

Last two hardbacks i purchased:

Prey by Michael Crichton (which i still havnt read, BTW!)
Harry Potter 5 by JK Rowling (lost a little of the magic somewhere, IMO)

Hardback- I don't always go for them though, because of the price. But I've just found a bookstore that sells some hardbacks fairly cheap :) ...so I get them when I have the opportunity.

I hate mass markets. The only time I would ever buy one is if I absolutely had to have the book and it wasn't available in trade or hard. I prefer trade paperbacks because they look good, feel nice, are a good size, and the artwork is actually on the book, not just on a flimsy dust jacket.

I do agree that hardbacks look nice on one's bookshelves.

Usually just for reading I prefer paperback, but if I really like a book and want to have it to read for a long while, then chances are I'll have the paperback around to read and eventually get a hardback to sit on my shelf..Now that I look, I don't have but, eight hardbacks.

Definitely paperbacks. Cheaper, lighter to carry, and take less space on shelves. I particularly like 2nd hand old paperbacks as I prefer old covers to new ones (yes, I'm a boring old git).
I find that most paperbacks stand the test of time, unless they are read by my little brother, in which case they end up grubby and in pieces.

Ed.

Back