• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Harry Potter - What is a 'tea cozy'?

Ruth

There are a few terms in the book that just didn't make sense to me at all, one of which being Tonks saying 'Wotcher' and the other the 'tea cozy'. I'm guessing its a British term ... what exactly is it?

A tea cozy is a covering that goes over the teapot to keep it warm. It's often knitted or made of some sort of fabric.

Think of it as a kind of jacket for the teapot. :D

I don't think it's just a British term. We use the term in Canada, too.

As for 'Wotcher', I have no idea.

Anyone else?

When i was reading the book i assumed it was a watch or a person or sumthing. Mainly i skipped over it but now that you bring it up I have no idea.

Yeah, I noticed that too, so I did a quick search on the net, and came up with this:

Wotcher is, I think, a contraction of 'What cheer' and is/was widely used as a greeting-see subject line, so basically it falls into the same category as 'What Ho' also a greeting although I can't find any details of its origin. I'm sure that it can be found in the novels by P G Wodehouse as a greeting at a house party given by a member of the 'epper clarses' After all one wouldn't like to use the same greeting as the 'lower clarses' would one? Words do change, the upper class 'yes' nowadays is 'yah' which makes me wonder if they first used it on a skiing holiday in Orstria or Frawnce.

It sounds reasonable, though I'm not sure it's completely accurate of course.

Relply to 'tea cozy' spoilers for OotP

Hey, everyone!

Yep, a tea cozy *is* a covering for a teapot! Well done! (How could anyone not know that?? Anyway I heard Rowling included a glossary of British terms in the back of her books meant for the American market. So is that not true, then?)

Now as for the term "Wotcher". I didn't know where it came from to start with so big thanks to lies for that summery.
It's a British slang term usally used by the lower classes (it's thought to be quite vulgar, really) to mean "How are you?", "Nice to meet you", or just simply "Hi." It's kind of cheeky, you wouldn't say it to your aunt or anything, but I suppose Rowling used it here to show what a cheeky, cheerfull charcter Tonks is. /yuck/ (Violet hair? Come on.)

I just finished OotP. Does anyone else think Umbridge must look exactly like that slug receptionist in 'Monsters Inc.'??

You heard it form a BRIT!

Tea-cozy:
A cloth, often woolen "garment" for a tea pot to "wear" - not seen any one using one recently, must admit!!

Wotcher:
A coloquial greeting, meaning a bit more than "hi!", akin to "wha's-up?".
To say it's only used by lower-class people is Most demeening indeed. It is the sort of thing you might expect Michael Caine to have said in the Italian Job but maybe not in The Quiet American. The term may have arisen in parts of the UK such as the East End of London along with cockney-rhyming-slang.

So there you have it!

Will-O

Whoops! Sorry!

Sorry, didn't mean to offend anybody! (Insert meek look.)

I was only trying to point out that it wasn't the most delicate of expressions. Anybody who's a fan of Terry Pratchett will remember that it's Nanny Ogg's greeting of choice, and she certainly isn't the most delicate of people!

Will-O, do you have a tea-cozy at home? We have a multi-coloured one in our 'Rarely Used Items' draw, which my great-grandmother knitted, but I don't think I can remember when it was last used.

Tea Cosy

I use our "tea cosy" every morning. I make the tea in a teapot at 6.50am, and drink it at 6.55am. My wife then comes down at 7.20am and enjoys a nice hot cup of tea.

Ah, but is it a hand-made tea-cozy or a shop-bought one?

My great-grandmother always insisted that home-made ones kept the heat in longer! ;)

The only time i've ever seen a tea cozy was when i was helping in a play on set. the play was supposed to be in England.... I guess its a common thing there?

Im from England and i have to say that i have NEVER seen a tea cozy :p Then again, im one of these hopelessly busy (and lazy) people who uses an instant bag rather a tea pot ;)

No, a tea cozy (or cosy) is not a common thing here! Most of the time people drink tea straight out of the kettle, not using a teapot at all.

I think we're on the wrong website here, discussing the merits of tea cosies! ;) I think it's more an "older generation" thing - my mother has always had a tea cosy, made up of different coloured knitted squares joined together! This is because she uses a metal tea pot, and never makes tea straight in the mug. Tea cosies are more popular than you would think! :)

Back