• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Haruki Murakami

I'm looking forward to this, I love Murakami and have already read everything available in English! As far as I know the English translation will be out in 2004.

Ed.

cool. the only one i haven't read is the nonfiction one interviewing the terrorists and victims, la de da. do you like it?

Cool I can't wait for his next one. Underground is pretty good too, it really gives you a feel for how the Japanese public reacted to tragedy.

I guess I'd start with Elephant Vanishes. A bunch of short stories. You should read 'A Family Affair' and '100%..' and 'A Window' first :)

Dance Dance Dance is one of my favorites, but it comes in a two-part series. You need to get A Wild Sheep Chase.

Dance builds off A Wild Sheep Chase, kind of a sequel book.

hm

i got the american first edition imported of the Wind up bird chronicles, i have to say it is one of the nicest book editions i have ever owned.

Wind up bird chronicles was great, i also really enjoyed wild sheep chase.

ksky

Mile-O-Phile said:
I realise that now. :(

I've got 'South of the Border, West of the Sun' winking at me as we speak.

Haven't read any Haruki Murakami yet, but I like the feel of his name on the front cover. ;)

Third Man Girl

I've just suggested Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami for Aprils vote.

I was wondering if others on this forum have read his books and what you thought of them. His latest book Kafka on the Shore has recently been published - anybody read it yet? - what did you think?

I think he is probably one of the best writers I've come across in a long time.

Mark

Norwegian Wood is the first his book I read.
Definitely best one of his, for my opinion.
Then I read "Listen song of wind", and all books of this series.
Liked, of course, but not such as the Norwegian Wood.
This book has own spirit. It's sad and it's jolly (in some parts). As he said, it is half-autobiographical book. After that a thought, how hard is his life.

Just last week I read 'Ten zuiden van de grens'. I don't know the english title... Literally it would be 'South of the border'. I liked his writing. You get drawn into the story, but when you finish the book, it's difficult to summarize the story. Nothing actually happened, there's not a clear storyline. I don't mind, because I like reading on every level (I enjoy well-written sentences for example), but it's just hard to grasp what you've just read.

I looked it up, it's 'South of the border, West of the sun'.

Growing up in the suburbs in post-war Japan, Hajime and Shimamoto had been childhood sweethearts. The two eventually lost touch but now, in their thirties, they meet up again. Hajime, now a father and husband, finds himself catapulted into the past, risking all that he has in the present.

Fantasticfiction.com can grasp it...:)

mgarratty,
I've read a couple of Murakami's books (Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World & The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles) and liked them very much. I think if you take a look (or search) among previous threads, you'll find other discussions of Murakami.

I adore Norwegian Wood (those that know me are no doubt sick of me going on about how great it is) - it was the first book of his that I read, and the one that really turned me on to his writing. Not only that, it also changed my opinion on the kind of stuff I liked to read and opened my mind up to all kinds of different things and now sits firmly in my "top 3" list. Possibly right at the top of the tree.

His other offerings are pretty different to NW - I wouldn't say it's necessarily a good representation of his body of work. But great nonetheless.

I haven't read them all yet, and I haven't yet got to "Kafka On The Shore" although I'm itching to pick it up (I have it here, but I'm trying to read his stuff in sequential order, I'm up as far as "Hard Boiled Wonderland")

There's quite a nice site here: http://www.murakami.ch that might interest you, seems to be more comprehensive than his official site.

No complaints on your English - Of his books I've read so far I also like NW the best (I've read Hard Bolied Wonderland .. and NW and just started Dance Dance Dance.

I've not come across 'Listen Song of the Wind' - maybe it has a different title here in the UK

mgarratty said:
I've not come across 'Listen Song of the Wind' - maybe it has a different title here in the UK

Hear The Wind Sing

It comes up on eBay from time to time. There's a copy up at the moment:

Look here

If you miss this one, there's a seller in Japan that ships English copies periodically, (don't be put off, the shipping was only $5) - that's where mine came from.

I started reading this last night, actually. So far, so good.

Back