• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Has anybody read American Gods?

I totally enjoyed that take on American Gods, Shade. Well written.

I did not share the posters view on the hero's name, or his dislike on details, or Gaiman's "quick-fire" take on the god mythos (which is the only way Gaiman tackles the god mythos, anyway).

Plus he didn't pick up the council minutes as a casual read, he picked it up because he didn't know what else to get for his third book, and since it was for a good cause, he decided to pick up the one least likely to be bought by anyone else. He just happened to read it too. :)

But I don't think I'll disagree too much with the poster's view that the novel lacked pictures that would've turned it into a graphic novel.

ds

p.s. Tell Amner that the Baron Samedi character he was talking about did not come from a Gaiman graphic novel, but a Grant Morrisson one called the Invisibles.

American Gods

I have to say, after reading Good Omens and and Neverwhere I was really looking forward to reading American Gods, and it didn't disappoint. However it was definately a twisted path away from the previously named books. It was dark and mysterious with the funny edge that I love Gaiman for, but it also gave you a lot of real thinking about the world around you. I recommend this book for everyone!

Sounds like a book I might want to read.... though after having read The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams, I doubt it'd be quite up to par - nevermind it's a different genre - I've got my ideas of the old gods in present times quite set :p

Back