• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Have been searching forever for a short story

Peder

I am almost convinced that the story I am looking for is a delusion.

Many years ago I read a short story that I thought was by O. Henry. It began with a pedestrian being handed a leaflet about a new chophouse/steakhouse that had opened on a second floor along Ann Street in NYC. He goes there, enjoys the meal and sits a while people-watching. He notices one man and decides to follow him when he leaves the restaurant to see where he goes. It turns out that the man just spends the afternoon ambling along, window-shopping the many small shops in the neighborhood around Ann Street in lower Manhattan. Then, surprisingly, he winds up back again at the same steakhouse and sits down again to enjoy his newspaper.

I have searched every which way I know -- googling, and leafing through contents of O. Henry collections -- to find the title (and author?) of this story, but with no luck.

If anyone can pin it for me I'd very much appreciate being able to reread it and make a similar sentimental journey through one of my early haunts.

Many thanks in advance
Peder
:flowers:

At first glance, it has the hallmarks of an O Henry story. I wonder though..hmm,
I'll keep it in mind, Peder. If I come across anything, will let you know.

At first glance, it has the hallmarks of an O Henry story. I wonder though..hmm,
I'll keep it in mind, Peder. If I come across anything, will let you know.
Many thanks, Eclair,
Yes, O Henry is so indelibly imprinted in my mind as the author that I can't even think of another possible author. However I have been so long with no luck that I am beginning to think it might be someone else. But, still, google should have come up with the correct author if my search was anywhere close. Hope you have better luck than I have had.

Peder
:flowers:

Back