• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Have you been phished?

Dogmatix

I was shocked this evening when I opened my email to find three messages; one from Chase, one from BB&T, and one from eBay. Each informed me that my account had been violated in some manner. Now I'm pretty savvy but they were very convincing. They had links to the legitimate websites, they had addresses. A a matter of fact the one for BB&T instructed you to follow the link but told you to call the number on the back of your card if you were worried about the link. Here's the thing I don't have a BBT account! For about 5 minutes I was in a panic.

What I ended up doing was closing the emails and then logging on to Chase.com (Important! I didn't use the link provided in the message) Right on their front page was a warning about fraudulent email scams and there was a copy of the email in my box. Apparently if you follow the links the can track your computer and obviously if you provide them with account info you're screwed. My email must be on some phishing line.

Anyways this may be old news to many of you but if not be warned.

Thanks for that. The same thing happened to my mom, but she was luckily smart enough not to do it. I think it was, like, an e-bay account she hadn't used in a long time or something.
Just for my information, what is BBT?

This isn't exactly new. Every email address gets phishing emails from the likes of eBay scammers. They go straight into the junk folder, mostly.

I've had ones from "eBay" and "PayPal" for a long time, but lately I've started to get a lot from "Chase". I don't even know who/what Chase is - is it an American bank?

I get e-mails like this all the time! If I find one like this in my bulk folder and it's from somebody I don't know with a suspicious-looking subject, I don't even bother to open it. I could contain a virus.

By the way, I think that Chase is a bank. I can't be sure though, I don't know crap about banks.

Chase is a bank. It's a huge bank. It used to be Chase Manhattan, now it's J.P.Morgan Chase bank.
The links look legit, but they're not. If you hover your mouse over them (DON'T CLICK - JUST HOVER) you'll see the acutal fraudalent site they are linking you to.

Libre said:
The links look legit, but they're not. If you hover your mouse over them (DON'T CLICK - JUST HOVER) you'll see the acutal fraudalent site they are linking you to.

Wow, you're right! I just tried this with a bulk email.

They can also call you and give you your credit account number and tell you there has been fraudulent use on your card and that all they need is the four numbers off the back to proceed with helping to put a stop to it.

Dont' fall for that one either.

Has everybody here already been to www.snopes.com ?

Back