• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

He and She

sanyuja

I wrote this story sometime ago and finally had the nerves to post it here. Please let me know how you find it. I am expecting some good comments from you novella.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yet another cup of coffee- steaming hot, with a tinge of bitter coffee smell, served in a stylish red colored cup and saucer with bright yellow flowers on them. She had had numerous cups of coffee sitting right here at this table at this cafe ‘Cafe Coffee Day.’ This is where she has spent most of her lonely moments, thinking about her life, talking to herself. And this is where she met him exactly a year back.

It was a rainy afternoon. She was on her way back from work, as usual, and was sitting at her favorite table at the cafe sipping a cup of coffee. The cafe was almost full because of the people who had come in to avoid the rain. She sat there looking at the rain drops that were causing a splash in the small puddle. She couldn’t help comparing it with her own life, small drops causing ripples in her puddle of life. She was lost in her own thoughts of how she is going to handle her parents this time when they mention the topic of her marriage and that’s when she saw him.

He entered the cafe holding a blue-colored, hard-bound book over his head to protect himself from the rain. He was dressed formally in a white striped, light blue shirt and dark blue trousers. He had very unusual features which instantly attracted her towards him. He had dark, expressive eyes, a prominent jaw line, and a big nose which didn’t really suit his overall look. It was this imperfection that she found most intriguing. She observed all this from the corner of her eye, not wanting to let him know what she was doing. She looked around her and saw that there was no table free and almost wished that he sits at her table.

He looked around for a minute to spot a vacant table, failed to find one and started moving towards a table where a man sat alone. On the way, their eyes met once just for a fraction of a second and she immediately turned away afraid that he might realize what’s going on in her mind. She sat there stealing glances at him as he ordered his espresso and sipped it leisurely while reading the book he had brought with him. He did not seem to notice her staring at him. He seemed to be enjoying his black coffee. She made a mental note to try espresso next time instead of the cappuccino that she had everyday. He sat there, his head buried in his book, and she staring at him. It stopped raining and he left with his book in hand and was gone – leaving a feeling of void within her.

It was either her luck or pure coincidence- she saw him frequently at the cafe. He would sit at a table with some book or the other in his hand with his espresso and she would sit at her table with her cappuccino. She had tried espresso but could not bear the bitter taste of it and had gone back to her usual cappuccino. Sometimes he would sit so close to her table that she felt intimidated. She had met his eyes once or twice and even tried to smile but had failed. She would think about how she will approach him one day, talk to him, and befriend him. They would sit at the same table, drink coffee and chat about their lives. She would tell him about her likes and dislikes. She would tell him that she likes sushi, John Travolta, beaches and Stephen King – in that order. She would tell him how she hates cockroaches. She would sit there and dream about all this and he would leave when she was lost in her dreams. She would look up to find him gone. She would sigh and tell herself that she would talk to him the next day for sure and leave.

One day he vanished. She waited for him looking out of the window, hoping to see him with a book in his hand. When it was quite late, she grew anxious. She shuddered at the thought of not seeing him for a day. She became restless thinking about all the reasons that withheld him. She sat there until it was too dark and left with tears in her eyes.

She had spent several days like this, waiting for him at the cafe and had left with a heavy heart. She had slowly started realizing that he would never come. Though she hoped that he would come one day, she had known that she was being impractical. Finally, she had convinced herself that he would never come.

Now, she sat at the same table in the same cafe, thinking about what all had happened over the past year. Nothing actually had had happened, but her life had covered one full cycle of hope and depression. She herself didn’t know why she had been so depressed when he had vanished. She couldn’t fathom why she was so attached to him. Why was he so important to her? Why did she still hope that he would come back into her life one day? Why was she being so impractical?

She was lost in her thoughts when she realized it was raining. She looked out of the window to see the rain drops causing ripples in the puddle. She thought of her life being shaken by a man -comparable to a small rain drop- who she had never spoken to. She laughed at herself thinking how silly she was to still hope that she will meet him. She decided she would put him out of her mind and life. She decided she wouldn’t let him affect her life so much. This thought brought new confidence to her.

She got up with confidence as a transformed woman who knows what she wants. She stepped out of the cafe and looked out at the world around her- bright and lively- just how her new life will be. She thought about how she would lead her life as an independent, confident woman – who has no attachments to a man, who knows how not to let others rule her life. She smiled at the world around her and stepped out of the cafe with confident steps. She was immersed in the dreams of her new life when she saw him again walking down the street.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I liked it, and I must say, it totally sucked me in, blocked out all my other senses! All background music stopped when I started reading, no distractions; like i have when reading other things. I think that's the sign of a good writter! :)

For the last part I thought she'd bump into him at the door lol

I hope to read more^^ :)Keep it up!

Hey, thanks dizzy! I was wondering whether anybody noticed that I had posted this!

Thank you for posting :)

Hi sanyuja. :)

You have a really strong, straightforward grasp of this. Naturally there are questions: she mentions talking about marriage with her parents. Is she getting married, or do they just want her to? What sort of person is she, a conventional type who follows tradition or a rebel? What is her life outside this cafe?

These, of course, will be answered when you continue with the story, I hope! I would like to see some surprises. There are really no surprises as yet--we can predict that she will see him again, and she does. But so far, it's very surehanded.

Thanks for the comments novella.

Something is wrong here. Either I am not conveying the right feeling or the readers are misinterpreting it. There is no continuation of this story. Atleast, I never thought I would write a part-2 of this story when I finished writing this. I wrote this just as an assignment. And I thought it would be very smart of me if I left the interpretation of the climax to the reader. They can turn it anyway they want. Ok, let me think whether to write a part-2 or not.

Thanks once again. :)

First paragraph I felt was weak... Well, I just read that so far and this is what I feel...

"Yet another cup of coffee- steaming hot, with a tinge of bitter coffee smell, served in a stylish red colored cup and saucer with bright yellow flowers on them."

Well... steaming hot then tinge of bitter coffee smell... so the steam must have hit her nose... how do those vapors feel on her skin, going around her face and into her nostrils for her smell?

the red cup and yellow flowers didn't give me a clear picture of the tea cup... that would be any tea cup... gold plated rims on the cup? Do the flowers stand out or are they carved into the cup? Is this a cheap cup or does it carry some age? Again... I am not seeing it...

Expand on her loneliness and her self talk... Everyone, if your not talking Prozac, feels, somewhat if not always, these things... She mutters under her breath talking to herself or talks out loud and has the nearby customers at this Coffee shop move to other seats because of her behavior? Does she talk in her head or out of it? This is not clear...

Comments so far.

Hmm... interesting. Thanks a lot ebolamonkey! I will remember your comments when I am writing something next time.
Thanks a lot! :)

Hi sanyuja,

It's surprising that you felt it was complete as is. With that in mind, I think there are two ways to continue. Of course, you can just write further along in the narrative chronology. What might be better, though, is to write into the piece, expanding within what you have here. I think that would address a lot of what ebolamonkey is saying.

There's a generic quality to what is here now. Young woman, young man, cafe. He's not perfect looking, but she's interested. Her parents want to talk about marriage. That's pretty much what we see here. If you write into the piece (as painting the second layer of an oil painting, adding more depth and clarity), we will know more of what makes her unique and interesting. Why do her parents want to talk about marriage and what does the girl think about it? What's her name? What country is she in? Where is she planning to go after the cafe? Stick a waiter in there. Someone who works there must see her every day, even as she sees the same guy.

It's okay to dwell within her thought process for a longish time and show the reader what's going on there. That's not a digression, it's character building. It think you have the answers to these questions. You seem to have a clear idea of the scene. But you haven't shown the answers to the readers yet.

The story can end when she leaves the cafe and sees the guy on the street, but you can show us a lot more about her conflicts about independence/romance before she leaves. If you feel that the story has come to an end, yet something is missing, this in-writing is the way to go. But no one else can really tell you what the story should be. Only you know that.

Eg:

"It was a rainy afternoon in a rainy season. All September the swollen skies had opened in midafternoon, breaking the heat. She stopped at the cafe on the way home from work at Mr. Pondicherry's law office. He was a sweet man with bad breath and a habit of scratching his head while he talked. Deepa thought the breath and the scratching offended his clients and cut into his business, but he was her boss, so she could never advise him on this."

Obviously I'm just taking this in whatever direction occurs to me. But you get the idea, I think.

You are perfectly right when you say I have the scene clearly in my mind, but haven't described enough for the reader to imagine the cafe that I have in mind.

I understand what you are saying, novella. I think I will take the second option. I will try to make the existing story more descriptive (add more meat to it) and see how it sounds!

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! :)

Yeah, thats the problem monkey.

I assume that people will imagine certain things in a certain way and because of this there are many holes in the story.

I wouldnt be able to identify these holes because I already have the whole scence in my mind. So, only when people point out, I will be able to rectify it. Right?

I see where you're going with this, maybe because the storyline reminded me so much of "Araby" from James Joyce's Dubliners, in which he masters the capability of psychological change within the short story. The twist at the end of his story, however, is that the boy in love with the stranger has his young, religious fervor-like attraction destroyed by the realization of his own vain and meaningless nature. Your own story is similar to this in concept. I find that you just need a bit of help in refining your style with less choppy, direct statements.

well i really liked your story sanyuja. i got a really good picture in my mind though i have to agree with monkey about the coffee bit. i couldn't get an image in my mind with the cups or the cafe. and i got a bit confused with the marriage thing with her parents.
it's a good ending. you want to know more about what happens to the woman afterwards, but you could leave it like that anyway as some sort of cliff hanger.

keep it up :D

I enjoyed the ending. I like the sentiment of letting us figure out what happens.

Afraid I can't be too original, here, though. I tend to agree with the others. When I go into a coffee house, I am very aware of all the smells - the freshly ground coffee, the hazelnut, the cinnamon, and the creamers - and the people. There is such a rich atmosphere of sights, and sounds, and smells, and nostalgic emotion that is untapped.

I personally don't care where the girl works, or what her name is. What I do care about, though, is who she is. Why does she think the things she thinks? Why does she come to the coffee shop? And, more importantly, why does she come back to the coffee shop?

I would hesitate to take this story outside of the comfortable, magical cafe, because that, in my opinion, is the only place where this story exists. When the sane light of the real world reflects from this story, it looses its magic, and is exposed as mundane. I would keep it there, and make it as "there" as it can be.

Just my two cents. I really like it, and think you have a wonderful start on what could be a neat little story.

Thanks so much for the comments guys :)

I agree with you leckert, I should have included details about how the cafe felt! I am a newbie, just learning :D

I will remember all these comments when I write something next time! Thanks once again :)

Hey Sanyuja,
I agree with what most of the members have said, but I’ll just let you know what I understood and think you might have wanted… or should include… at least this is what I was left thinking…

You mention marriage. In India I’m guessing “arranged-marriages” are pretty common, not so much as before, but still a tiny bit. I was thinking her parents told her they had a few guys in mind, who she could pick from. This didn’t flatter her much, to put it mildly. So the guy at the coffee-place I saw as some kind of hope for her, if you see what I mean. That's why she keeps going there and sees him, and keeps waiting... and since you have to get married at a certain age, or no one wants you, I’m thinking she doesn’t have thaaat much time to think. He is kind of her “escape” from what’s going on at her home, with all the marriage-fuss, if you understand. She sees him as her “way out” (of course she is in love and all that).

When she sees him again, it should be when she thinks she has no way out, but just accept one of the proposals… and after having made this decision and out of nowhere when she is leaving the coffee shop, he comes in. THE END! It would be nice not to know what she does. Nothing about what she feels or anything, just him showing up, and stop. And much of it should be unsaid (she not knowing why he is important to her etc. much of it just like you have it), and the readers should find it out themselves. Plus we shouldn’t know that the guy will turn up, he just does… as I said “out of nowhere”, suddenly, we should be as “puzzled” as her.

This was how I understood it, even though you said nothing about it. I call it over-analysing, and putting too much into things, but that’s what I was left with.
Maybe this turned out to be a bit of a cliché, but you can make it non-cliché though. ;)

I liked it! If you just made some things a little "clear": great!

Back