• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hello of a book for Christians

chiangmaifalcon

This title is a clever play on words. maybe not so clever. Anyway, my wife has friend who is a Thai Christian woman and has convinced my wife and her mother to convert to Christianity. This is considered amazing,as they were the most Buddhist people I know here and this is a Buddhist country. Now my wife is asking me questions about Bible and Christianity which I cannot answer, so I have been reading Bible and other Christian books.

I just finished this book called The Last Word and the Word After That, by Brian McLaren, who is allegedly a famous preacher. This book is also allegedly about hell. Basically does it exist or not. After reading this book, I still have no clue and neither does the guy who wrote the book. It is written, for some reason, in the form of a fictional story about a preacher who gets fired from church because he is obsessed about hell and cannot agree with the official position of the church he works for, which is that bad people go to hell.

Then he goes about looking in the bible, and everywhere else, for anything ever written about hell. There are a bunch of other annoying characters. There is a black guy(see I wrote that in small letters) named Neo who apparently knows everything there is to know about God and hell and the universe, and another black guy even smarter than he. Plus some gay people thrown in so the writer can preach about that.

I think basically McLaren is worried about going to hell, and so is real anxious to convince himself hell is bogus.

I did not learn anything in this book except that black people are all geniuses and white people are morons, unless they are gay. And before anyone calls me racist about this, read this book and then see for your self.

Actually, I did learn that there is a hell, and basically it consists of reading this book.

Also, according to the internet, the author gives quotations of sources of things which they never actually said. Maybe he is a member of this forum.

Not so clever at all. I meant to say hell of a book, but somehow I wrote hello. Anyway hello. Oh well, no one ever understands my jokes anyway. It is a book about hell, and so I say hell of a book. Now I see it is not funny even to me. I should just give up comedy.

Sounds like a fair review to me, CMF. And I do appreciate your humor and get a smile out of it. :)
The topic (either Christianity or Hell) is a big one, however, and you can spend a lot of time trying to learn about it -- quite possibly even a lifetime. Which is not to say that it won't be worthwhile. So, good luck, whatever you may decide.
:flowers:

Thank you Peder. I even made a new years resolution to read the whole Bible. I heard if you read 3 chapters a day, you can finish it in a year. So I have been reading at least 3 chapters daily, but usually more, and I am up to Chronicles ll. It is pretty fascinating. I never read about so much killing in my life. Everybody is killing everybody, and I mean total war. God is pretty serious in Old testament. So far I especially liked the stories about Moses.

CMF, I read it in a summer once, when I had a lot of free time away from home, and I too think it makes fascinating reading. Beyond saying that, I am reluctant to add another word.

That is always wise. I know some missionaries here that get very upset when you even question anything that is written in the Bible. I myself think maybe some things are not meant to be taken literally word for word. The missionaries think different so we get in big arguments which really confuse my wife, who thinks the whole thing is already confusing enough.

And there in a nutshell, Chiang, is a large part of the history of Christianity. It really is a shame. :sad:

I do not understand diference between Baptists and Methodists and other Protestants. I know Catholics are differnet, but it seems to me Protestants should be able to agree, but appparently they do not.

Back